Clear all data from a feed
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Clear all data from a feed

by EvilChemist on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:54 pm

I'd like to clear all the history data from my feeds after I make changes on my code or hardware so the scales on the charts are corrected. The "Remove Selected Data" action is throttled, so I can only delete 30 data points per minute. Is there a way to clear all of the history data without creating a new, empty feed?

Thank you!

EvilChemist

Re: Clear all data from a feed

by Stonemull on Wed May 02, 2018 9:50 am

I would like this option too.. seems a massive oversight :)

Stonemull

by asterism on Thu May 17, 2018 8:30 am

This definitely needs to be fixed, the workaround is to delete the feed and recreate it, but that's a terrible "solution".

on a related note, when adding a map block to the dashboard the map seems to be auto-updating and centering on the last
feed point that was updated, which is not necessarily the most recent feed point added. once you hit the data point limit which
I think is set to 1000 points, it starts removing the oldest data points to make room for the most recent, but the map then
starts to auto-center on the oldest data in the feed, which for a tracking map block is kinda useless and cant be disabled.

so that's why I was trying to pre-emptively remove the old data before hitting the limit, but as we've seen those updates are throttled.

asterism

by asterism on Thu May 17, 2018 8:58 am

another indicator that the maps are using the wrong method to determine the auto-centering point for map blocks:
fix.jpg
fix.jpg (11.39 KiB) Viewed 139 times

the wording in this image is misleading and incorrect. even if you aren't logging new data to the feed, the timestamp
shown is really indicating the most recent feed update which includes deleting data points, not just the last time new "data" was
published to the feed. when the server is at the maximum number of data points it starts deleting the oldest data point to make
room for the newest point, but it appears that the deletion activity is what the maps are considering the "most recent" data to
center the map on. so for tracking purposes the maps are effectively tracking the tail-end of the trail instead of the head-end once
the data point limit is hit. for a GPS tracking device it doesn't take too long to hit that limit, and deleting the old data pre-emptively
is cumbersome because of the throttling.

Update: it looks like the timestamp in the feed history section updates every time you reload the page, regardless of when the last feed
update was, so I have no idea what its referring to as "data".

asterism

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.