IDEAS: ADAFRUIT IO FEATURE SUGGESTIONS

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
brubell
Learn User Page

Re: IDEAS: ADAFRUIT IO FEATURE SUGGESTIONS

Post by brubell »

DevilWAH wrote:The ability to copy the full screen dashboard view as a URL.

I can see how to do this but would be really nice for making display panels such as using a raspberry pi, running a browser in a Kiso mode.
Good news - we've deployed Kiosk Mode to Adafruit IO this morning!

For more information about Kiosk Mode, check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=159403&p=785290#p785290

DevilWAH

Post by DevilWAH »

brubell wrote:
DevilWAH wrote:The ability to copy the full screen dashboard view as a URL.

I can see how to do this but would be really nice for making display panels such as using a raspberry pi, running a browser in a Kiso mode.
Good news - we've deployed Kiosk Mode to Adafruit IO this morning!

For more information about Kiosk Mode, check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=159403&p=785290#p785290
I was just resetting up a dashboard after playing with the feed and it was there! Cant really ask for a faster turnaround that that! Thanks you for getting that implemented so quickly is a great addition.

Also people on your phone you can now put these as a bookmark on the "desktop" and have a single click to a nice clean dashboard view :), I guess some one far cleaver than me could also wrap it up in an app but this is perfect for my needs.

cstanke

Post by cstanke »

Feature request:

Trigger Email Customization

Currently, an IO+ trigger that's set up to send an email sends something along the lines of this:

Subject: Adafruit IO trigger 17234: Alert from ldr
Content:

The value of "ldr" was:

at 2019-12-23T21:41:39.464Z

TL;DR
Customizable emails are far more useful than what currently available.

While it's nice to have the ability to email from a trigger, it's nicer to have the emails tailored to the point you're trying to get across. For instance, in this case, I have a few "ldr" feeds in different feed groups (for different purposes). So, it would be nice to know what feed group it's from at the very least. Further, it would be even nicer if I could completely customize the subject (since it's the first thing I see in an email notification), and content. For instance "Light detected in Darkroom!" is a more valuable subject than "Adafruit IO trigger 17234: Alert from ldr" and "Mushroom farm brightness exceeded." is more discernible from the former example than "Adafruit IO trigger 32751: Alert from ldr" which is indeed one of my ldr-sensor feeds but has nothing to do with the photo darkroom. It's hard for me to tell at a glance though, since the only differentiator is the trigger id: 17234 vs. 32751. Could I rename my feeds? Sure. But aren't groups for grouping and don't some people like to keep their feed names short?

tbergman

Post by tbergman »

I've been testing out IO along with several others like it. In most respects, I like IO the best. A missing feature in IO is the ability to clear the data from a channel. Yes, I realize I can delete and recreate the channel but that's not really the point and more difficult than it needs to be.
I find this to be important when developing. For example, I'll talk about a simple thermometer app, perhaps intended for use in a freezer. While developing, the temperature readings will, since I don't live in a freezer, be far out of the normal expected range for the app. In addition, mistakes made during development frequently result in aberrant values like 2^31 or other ridiculously out of range numbers.
When I go to review the dashboard, charts are way out of whack and there's no easy way to fix this.
An additional choice on the delete/disable channel page that would simply clear the data would be great. Might also end up reducing the storage requirements on your servers.

tbergman

Post by tbergman »

Regarding my previous post about deleting data, please substitute the word "feed" for channel. I was confused by the term used on some other sites and I can't edit the post.

DevilWAH

Post by DevilWAH »

tbergman wrote:Regarding my previous post about deleting data, please substitute the word "feed" for channel. I was confused by the term used on some other sites and I can't edit the post.
I agree it would be nice to have the ability to delete data from a range of dates / times. If you delete the feed you mess up the dashboard and have to recreate that so be nice to jsut be able too both clear out all the data or a range of data points.

DevilWAH

Post by DevilWAH »

On a dash board that is shared it would be nice to hace some way such as a simple pin to control user input.

For example i have now created a number of dashboards to monitor fish tanks, but i would like to also be able to send commands from the dashboard to turn on and off the lights, i would like this to be a shareable dashboard, so i dont have to log in each time i want to check, and i not to conserend about people seeing what temp the tank is running at. but i dont want them to be able to randomaly turn on and ff the light.

So it would be nice to have a function to be able when pressing a button or using a colour picker on a dashboard to require a pin before it records the value.

So i would click the "light on button" and a dialog box would pop up asking for a pin.

I know nto the highest security, but for a fish tank light it does not need to be.

This is the current reason i only use it for motioning at the moment as there is not way to control inputs to shared dashboard.

DevilWAH

Post by DevilWAH »

Dashboard designs.

It can get very confusing when trying to arange a dashboard on a PC then opening it on a phone and it being a complete different set up, as you resize the wiondow it does change the view setting but it would be nice too have this as a drop down menu, So we could select "Mobile Screen, or Medium screen" and then get presented with frame f the correct size we can work on the Laptop / PC.

It would also be nice to be able to create a custom screen / dashboard size. I have set up a raspberry pi with a 7inch screen running in kisko mode to display my dashboard. This has only a tuch screen so setting up the dashboard on the pi is a pain. It would be nice on my laptop to be able to create a dashboad with the exact resolution of the pi screen as I knwo this is fixed.

laird_trimble

Post by laird_trimble »

Is it possible to add delete feed and rename feed to the API?

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

laird_trimble wrote:Is it possible to add delete feed and rename feed to the API?
Delete feed is an API endpoint: https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs/#delete-feed

Update feed can be used to rename feeds:
https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs/#update-feed

curl -H "X-AIO-Key: {key}" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"feed": {"name": "test update", "key": "test-update"}}' -X PUT https://io.adafruit.com/api/v2/{usernam ... /{feed-key}

LXOne

Post by LXOne »

Hi,

I would REALLY like to see a lock / read only mode for the feed/dashboard pages. I have accidentally deleted a few feeds/dashboards and it's REALLY frustrating. Just a little lock click button is all it takes!

Thanks!

niaz8085

Post by niaz8085 »

I would like to see the ability to annotate data points in the feed via the API as well as the online portal.
Last edited by brubell on Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam link posted

tdw_toddlisa

Post by tdw_toddlisa »

MakeOneUp wrote:I noticed that momentary buttons don not work the same way on mobile than on a computer. When I press and hold a button, on mobile it doesn't post to the feed at all. On desktop, it posts 1 when pressed and 0 when released.

I just started using IO and noticed the same thing recently. This is a question that I've seen asked multiple times on the forums here, and as yet no one seems to have answered.

Can someone explain what's going on with this? I would very much like to use IO for my project, but mobile/tablet operation is a requirement for me. I like pretty much everything else about IO, so I'd hate for this behavior to force me to go somewhere else.

joewright

Post by joewright »

It would be helpful if there were some way to rename or provide a label for feeds in a graph. I currently have two air quality monitoring sensors, one for upstairs and one for downstairs, each of which has its own feed group. When data from both sensors is plotted on the same graph, it isn't possible to tell which line corresponds with which sensor, since their feed names are the same.
Feed organization
Feed organization
feeds.png (129.77 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Dashboard
Dashboard
dash.png (140.8 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
I could get around this by including the sensor location in the feed name as well as the group, but this feels like a hacky solution and doesn't align with the naming conventions used in the various Adafruit IO tutorials.

gritnix

Post by gritnix »

This is really a documentation suggestion. The Huzzah32 and other ESP32 product pages read "32 kHz crystal oscillator". This is not really correct and shouldn't be listed there. The 32Khz crystal allows one to use the RTC in the ESP32 to track real time and is a nice bonus if you need to track wall clock time w/o a wifi connection. The problem is that the 32Khz cystal is just a user added supported option on these boards. The crystal isn't really there. There are boards from various sources that do include that crystal, so having the product features just read "32Khz crystal oscillator" sure makes it seem like your boards do too. The only way to know that they don't is to look at the board closely, understand what a crystal normally looks like, not be able to find one, and then go look at the schematic to see that it really isn't there. I think the product features should make this more clear, that to have this, the customer would need to add it. If the crystal really is there and I'm just misreading the schematic and the board, forgive me and delete this post, but as far as I can tell, it's not there. Thanks.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”