IDEAS: ADAFRUIT IO FEATURE SUGGESTIONS

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
jwcooper

Re: IDEAS: ADAFRUIT IO FEATURE SUGGESTIONS

Post by jwcooper »

cjdshaw wrote:The option for grid lines on charts would be great
This feature has been released. Thanks for the suggestion!

cjdshaw

Post by cjdshaw »

jwcooper wrote:
cjdshaw wrote:The option for grid lines on charts would be great
This feature has been released. Thanks for the suggestion!
Amazing! Thanks for the quick response

cjdshaw

Post by cjdshaw »

When I wake my laptop in the morning, the io page seems to grab the latest datapoint for each feed. So I'm greeted with graphs showing yesterday's data, then a big straight, diagonal line, then a single datapoint for this morning - nothing overnight. I can reload the page, but that is slow and resource-wasteful.

Could the script automatically get all the data it needs to fill in the graphs since the last update yesterday? Or if this is too complicated, a mechanism that simply notices if it hasn't refreshed in the last hour, and reloads all data feeds, but without reloading the whole page?

cjdshaw

Post by cjdshaw »

Here's a perfect example. My laptop clearly woke itself up a couple of times in the night, but there's no detailed data after 2am.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 09.51.03.png
Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 09.51.03.png (68.32 KiB) Viewed 4667 times

jdoscher

Post by jdoscher »

Hello! Adafruit IO is a really awesome and especially easy to use platform. I have two unrelated feature requests:

1.) Update formatting on the website to support wide and possibly "ultrawide" monitors. Right now on even standard widescreen monitors there's a ton of wasted space on the left and right. I'd like to use that and allow for dashboards without scrolling.

2.) Second, I'd like a per-account feed value that is the number of posts/updates in the last 60 seconds. I know Adafruit IO tracks this somehow already and uses it to throttle updates- I'd like to be able to read that value across the account so I can have some devices do fewer updates if others are busy.

Thank you again!

cjdshaw

Post by cjdshaw »

Customisable aggregation for graphs:

I'd like to be able to increase the aggregation window for graphs

Example: If I have a feed like exterior temperature, house electricity usage, solar panel output etc, there will be a lot of detail visible on a 24 hour graph, which is great. If I also have a 30 day graph, though, the data gets aggregated into 2 hour averages. That means the graph is dominated by the 24 hour cycle which makes it hard to see trends. An option to increase this aggregation window, usually to 24 hours, would make it much easier to see how one day compared to the next.

A pulldown with the various option would accomplish this well, e.g.
Auto
10min
30min
1 hour
2 hour
6 hour
12 hour
1 day

If the user decreased the window so that more than 640 values would display, the graph could either just show the last 640 aggregated values, or default back to Auto

simpletonite

Post by simpletonite »

A way to check if a feed has not been updated/received data for a certain period of time. This could either be an IFTTT trigger or an Adafruit IO trigger. Example:

If feed A has not received a value in the last 10min -> Send email notification

rmoosa

Post by rmoosa »

Please consider adding an IF condition to the Time Based triggers; similar to the IF condition that exists on the reactive trigger.

rmoosa

Post by rmoosa »

It would be great if the mqtt last will and testament (LWT) feature was supported on the platform.
OR some other mechanism to determine if a device is currently online or offline.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

rmoosa wrote:It would be great if the mqtt last will and testament (LWT) feature was supported on the platform.
OR some other mechanism to determine if a device is currently online or offline.
If you go to io.adafruit.com/monitor, you can see active device connections and disconnections. This does not rely on LWT, it uses the timeout negotiated between IO and the device on a new connection.

rmoosa

Post by rmoosa »

brubell wrote:connections
I was looking more to something that could be logged and references after the fact.
I was hoping to log online offline activities of the device on a queue and present this data on a dashboard.

rmoosa

Post by rmoosa »

brubell wrote:
rmoosa wrote:It would be great if the mqtt last will and testament (LWT) feature was supported on the platform.
If you go to io.adafruit.com/monitor, you can see active device connections and disconnections. This does not rely on LWT, it uses the timeout negotiated between IO and the device on a new connection.
I was looking more to something that could be logged and references after the fact.
I was hoping to log online offline activities of the device on a queue and present this data on a dashboard.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

rmoosa wrote:
brubell wrote:
this might be supported by adafruit io in the future - it's a feature we're looking at for a new io module called wippersnapper.

rmoosa

Post by rmoosa »

Please add an ability to send a Webhook message when the feed gets offline.

Please also provide the ability to send repeated messages at regular intervals if the feed remains offline.

meteorkees

Post by meteorkees »

Hello all,
All times in the feeds and dashboard graphs, show the timestamps in AM/PM format. Is it possible to have a choice for format 24hrs or am/pm?

Thanks

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”