Troubleshooting - Feed not updating
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Troubleshooting - Feed not updating

by pthacker on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:02 pm

I've been troubleshooting a problem with feeds for the past week. It all started when I inadvertently disabled several feeds. I did not understand the difference between deleting and disabling. So once I figured out that it was not my sensors nor my mosquitto bridge, I was able to update several feeds. I renamed each with a starting capital letter. Looks like feed names are case sensitive (?) between Mosquitto and io.adafruit.com.

I changed feed names with leading upper case names and everything started work except "gas".

topic AirQuality out 0 diyhas/main/garage/ pthacker/feeds/garage
topic AmbientLight out 0 diyhas/main/garage/ pthacker/feeds/garage
topic Gas out 0 diyhas/main/garage/ garage/feeds/garage
topic Humidity out 0 diyhas/main/garage/ pthacker/feeds/garage
topic Pressure out 0 diyhas/main/garage/ pthacker/feeds/garage
topic Temperature out 0 diyhas/main/garage/ pthacker/feeds/garage

The strange part is that Gas does not update in io.adafruit.com even though the MQTT broker/bridge is getting the update. I even tried using Gases for the feed name but it does not work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

pthacker

Re: Troubleshooting - Feed not updating

by flounder on Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:06 am

I found a similar problem, and just changed all my feed names to be all-lower-case. Unfortunately, this limitation does not seem to be documented anywhere. So when I added a feed "Whatever" in my group, it came back as "whatever", but the logic that dispatches to my handler does a case-sensitive comparison, so I never see the notification even, because the feed name was converted to all-lower-case before being sent to me.

I discovered this by modifying the library to Serial.print the feed names it was being given, and since I had created them in my program as "Whatever" and in adafruit.io as "Whatever", I had not expected to get "whatever" coming back as the name of the feed.
joe

flounder

by jdoscher on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:21 pm

Chiming in here, mixed case feed names in my Python script was crashing the IO library until I made them all lower case.

jdoscher

by brubell on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:38 am

The feed name is the upper-case value. You should always use keys to identify feeds in code.
Attachments
FEEDNAME.png
FEEDNAME.png (67.76 KiB) Viewed 7 times

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.