IFTTT only triggers part of the time
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

IFTTT only triggers part of the time

by Sterillium on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:26 am

I've setup IFTTT to add a line to a Google Sheets spreadsheet every time a new measurement is reported in my Adafruit IO feed. Unfortunately, IFTTT only seems to trigger part of the time. The times that it does work, there's a delay of seconds to several minutes. Adafruit IO shows all the measurements correctly, so I don't think it's my ESP8266 setup (which I've based on the Arduino Adafruit MQTT Library ESP8266 Example).

When I set up an IFTTT applet to blink my Hue lights it also doesn't work most of the time, so the problem isn't Google Sheets related. Also, IFTTT doesn't show any errors so it's like the data never reaches IFTTT. I've contacted IFTTT but have yet to hear from them.

Has anyone had similar problems or have any ideas what the problem could be?
Attachments
ScreenHunter 145.png
ScreenHunter 145.png (113.09 KiB) Viewed 207 times

Sterillium

Re: IFTTT only triggers part of the time

by brubell on Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:45 pm

While making the Gmailbox guide (https://learn.adafruit.com/gmailbox) which uses IFTTT, I found the delay from when I received an email to when the flag would raise varied when used with IFTTTT.

I've also evaluated and used Zapier (Guide: https://learn.adafruit.com/using-zapier ... dafruit-io) with Adafruit IO. The response still had a delay, but was quicker than IFTTT. You might want to consider using that as an alternative, although its interface is not as intuitive.

brubell

by Sterillium on Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Thanks so much for the tip. I'll check out Zapier.

The delays I can actually live with, it's just the fact that IFTTT only gets about 1/3 of the triggers that has me confused. Adafruit IO receives all of the data fine, but something is getting "lost" between Adafruit IO and IFTTT.

I don't understand the mechanics of the Adafruit IO & IFTTT integration. Could you take an educated guess if this is my fault? An Adafruit IO issue or an IFTTT issue?

Thanks!

Sterillium

by brubell on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:29 pm

IFTTT only gets about 1/3 of the triggers that has me confused. Adafruit IO receives all of the data fine, but something is getting "lost" between Adafruit IO and IFTTT.

I don't understand the mechanics of the Adafruit IO & IFTTT integration. Could you take an educated guess if this is my fault? An Adafruit IO issue or an IFTTT issue?

I'm not sure, thank you for bringing it to our attention. I added an issue on our issue tracker (https://github.com/adafruit/io-issues/issues/179) to notify the IO Dev Team about this.

brubell

by Jay_Ess on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:19 am

I know I am several years late to the game on this, but I am experiencing similar behavior from IFTTT where Adafruit IO seems to be working correctly but IFTTT is only periodically activates based on a trigger.

Has there been any resolution to this issue?

Jay_Ess

by brubell on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:25 am

Jay_Ess wrote:I know I am several years late to the game on this, but I am experiencing similar behavior from IFTTT where Adafruit IO seems to be working correctly but IFTTT is only periodically activates based on a trigger.

Has there been any resolution to this issue?

IFTTT's periodic updates is independent of Adafruit IO's operation. Unfortunately - we don't have control over how often IFTTT applets update (often between 5-15 minutes). Zapier is a little quicker to update, but still has a delay.

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.