Documentation of data functions ?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Documentation of data functions ?

by Lo on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:01 pm

I was searching for documentation of the special Adafruit IO data functions, like toPinLevel() , value() , toRed() , etc.
And surprising I could not find a single document explaining these functions.
Sure, there are a lot of good Arduino code examples that are really helpfull, but ONLY offering examples is really a strange way of learning to program code for Adafruit IO.....
So WHY is there no documentation available about what these functions exactly do ?? And are more of this kind of useful functions available ?? I can't find out....
Personally I think browsing the source code on GitHub it is a very primitive and unprofessional way to find out what these functions are and exactly do.....
Can you help me out ? Maybe I missed something ?
Kind regards

Lo

Re: Documentation of data functions ?

by franklin97355 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Have you read through this yet?

franklin97355

by Lo on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:45 pm

Yes I saw it, but unfortunately I cannot find it there...

Lo

by brubell on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:52 pm

So WHY is there no documentation available about what these functions exactly do ?? And are more of this kind of useful functions available ?? I can't find out....

There is not documentation freely available on these functions aside from the source. I'm going to document these this week on the ReadTheDocs for the Adafruit IO Arduino Library (https://adafruit-io-arduino.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) and bump the thread when it's ready.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

brubell

by Lo on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:44 am

Thank you for your intension to make some more Arduino lib documentation.
Talking about Arduino lib documentation, I miss more basic things in documentation:

In one of the examples we find:
AdafruitIO_WiFi io(IO_USERNAME, IO_KEY, WIFI_SSID, WIFI_PASS);
And later in the code:
// wait for a server connection:
while(io.status() < AIO_CONNECTED) {
Serial.print(".");
delay(500);
}

This is good example code, but in my opinion it would be nice to have documentation about this .status() function.
WHAT values can this function return ??
Not everyone is capable to hack source code to find out....

So more documentation apart from the nice Arduino code examples will be much appreciated !
Keep up the good work, kind regards,
Lo

Lo

by JerryFord on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:11 pm

I would LOVE to see documentation for Key words and Functions with examples. Highlighting differences between Arduino and Feather ect. for example. Its the differences that are the Problem! Arduino has documentation and AdaFruit does not seem to have any, which makes it seem like they (Arduino & Feather ) are 100% compatible as far as the functions are concerned but they are NOT! For example the Serial ports 1) The Feather can have more than 1 serial port (6) which is Great!! 2) Serial.available() does not seem to work "but I will try it again" and was surprised it did not support serial.Event() but the info is very weak so not sure yet. The info I did manage to find mostly focused on SPI which is a type of serial port TRUE but when I look for serial port usage I should find example for serial ports and multi serial ports (RS232 type) usage. When I think of serial ports it means RS232 or RS485 ect. when I think of SPI Its SPI not RS232. To truly take advantage of Adafruit's uC development boards, Adafruit in my opinion Needs to address the perceived/real lack of documentation. I say "perceived/real" because maybe I just haven't found it yet.

My current project needs to have 2 serial ports. The first one is going to be the USB built in one," for programming" but after its been programed I want to be able to use it for pc app interfacing and the 2nd is for interfacing to another device. It would have been beneficial and time saving for me to have found addafriut's documentation for multi port and pin selection instead of trial and error programming. I DO LOVE ADAFRUIT!!! don't think other wise!

JerryFord

by franklin97355 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:10 pm

Jerry, have you gone through the tutorials we have on our products and projects? There is one on just about everything but if you have specific questions this is the place to ask them. We ask that you start a new topic for your questions so as to not confuse the help we are trying to give the original poster of a topic.

franklin97355

by JerryFord on Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:39 pm

Please post the link!

Thanks!

PS. No I have no idea where to find them!
This web site "Adafruit" does not seem to be organized that is useful to me.
I am sorry but I am very clear! Where Is the documentation!!!!
I just want to type the search Serial port usage or setting up multi ports and it should "the web site" should find and display it!
It is syntax usage key words, parameters, members, events ect for the serial object.

If you can point me in the right direction it would be GREAT!

JerryFord

by franklin97355 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:52 pm

The tutorials are here and the documentation on libraries is in the source code. Most of our libraries are to allow you to use the devices and as examples of what can be done. They are not designed to be the best and complete just structure to build on. Datasheets for the devices we sell should be a part of your reference materials.

franklin97355

by JerryFord on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:59 pm

The tutorials are here and the documentation on libraries is in the source code. Most of our libraries are to allow you to use the devices and as examples of what can be done. They are not designed to be the best and complete just structure to build on. Datasheets for the devices we sell should be a part of your reference materials.

Thanks for tying to help but it is just not good enough.
I tried three different word searches:
1) UART
2) Serial
3) Port

In each search case the tree list of results did not show anything I searched for.
Is it expected of me to click and search through each of the tree list items until I find the answers I am looking for.
I would suggest looking at other help engines for programming languages to understand what I am talking about.
And please don't bother tiring to tell me that its my fault.
Adafruit's help is NO HELP!
I am disgusted with the lack of detailed help! And the anafruit's inability to address my needs.
And my initial entry was pretty clear and you should have been able to understand what I am looking for but you just want to deflect
the blaring obvious problem is the lack of organized help structure.

"tutorials are here " NO they are not tutorials it only random code other people wrote.
REAL Tutorials look more like what Visual Studio has or Python or C++ or Pascal Excel, even Arduino has better help than adafruit!
Help and Tutorials have syntax usage valid parameters and detailed explanations and example source code. But example source code by itself is not a Tutorial!

Edited by moderator: Removed cursing.

JerryFord

by adafruit2 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:20 am

here is a resource we have for learning how to use Serial in Arduino:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ard ... al-monitor

it sounds like you may want certain style of documentation & support that isn't on adafruit. all tutorials we have are on learn.adafruit.com

please email support@adafruit for a refund on your purchase if it's within the return period if you would like to make a return for a refund.

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.