Multiple dashboard pages
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Multiple dashboard pages

by andyfish on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:10 am

Dear All,

Firstly I have not used forums like this as I am put off by many of the condescending responses from those who should know better. I hope that this forum is not like that.

Secondly I hope I have presented my questions in an appropriate fashion, if not I apologise in advance.

The operational conditions I am hoping to implement are fairly basic to my way of thinking, and I am sure that they much be possible, even if not with Adafruit IO. I have seen them implemented many times in the past using SCADA type MMIs as well as proprietary systems. However many searches of Google etc. have not thrown up anything using IOT dashboards, maybe I am not using suitable keywords in my searches, if so I apologise in advance.

Anyway my questions are:
a) is it possible using Adafruit IO to have multiple page dashboards and navigate between them. I have a potential application that has over 50 sites each requiring it's own dashboard. I wish to be able to have an overall "summary" dashboard, ideally with a geographical display of these 50+ sites, showing a simple status overview eg normal, fault, offline and then the option to navigate into the individual site, again ideally, by clicking on the site icon, thus viewing the condition of approximately 16 alarm/status points and a couple of meter readings as well as some historical data. And, obviously, an option to return to the main screen;
b) I would also like, as a "nice to have", the option to have the overview page and then a sub-page with perhaps 20 of the sites displaying more data, eg major alarm status, minor alarm status, current system reading's, online / offline status, etc. The reason for this is that the condition of one site can be effected by it's neighbours so it would be useful to be able to view their status simultaneously;
c) Another nice to have would be the ability to restrict access to certain of these intermediatary screens and individual site screens according to log on privileges; and
d) If it is indeed possible to do any of the above some indication of how would I go about it and any examples would be very helpful indeed.

I am sure that I will be pillared by some people but I have "Googled" this many times using many different keywords but with no success. Maybe I am using the wrong keywords but I have tried all that I can think of. Maybe what I am looking to do is simply out of the range of IOT dashboards? If so I apologise in advance, whilst I would be disappointed at least I will know not to waste any more time looking into this.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Best regards

Andy Fisher

andyfish

Re: Multiple dashboard pages

by brubell on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:34 am

Firstly I have not used forums like this as I am put off by many of the condescending responses from those who should know better. I hope that this forum is not like that.

Absolutely not :) I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

a) is it possible using Adafruit IO to have multiple page dashboards and navigate between them. I have a potential application that has over 50 sites each requiring it's own dashboard. I wish to be able to have an overall "summary" dashboard, ideally with a geographical display of these 50+ sites, showing a simple status overview eg normal, fault, offline and then the option to navigate into the individual site, again ideally, by clicking on the site icon, thus viewing the condition of approximately 16 alarm/status points and a couple of meter readings as well as some historical data. And, obviously, an option to return to the main screen;
b) similar

This isn't currently a feature of Adafruit IO. I'll pass it along to the IO Team for consideration. If you want to create a summary dashboard without this feature, you could combine feeds from other dashboards (such as the feed showing the status of site #1, which would appear both on your summary dashboard and site #1's dashboard). Mixing and matching feeds between the site-dashboard and the main dashboard would allow specific data to be shared.

c) Another nice to have would be the ability to restrict access to certain of these intermediatary screens and individual site screens according to log on privileges; and

Each dashboard can be shared. Each feed can also be shared and/or restricted to certain people.

While you may be best off with rolling your own solution, since we don't support the sub-pages which you'd want, you could embed (frame) the dashboards into another site to control them.

brubell

by andyfish on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi Brubell,

Many thanks for your prompt response. And to date I have to confirm that I have a 100% non condescending response rate, that is 1 out of 1 - lol!!

The information you have provided is very useful, albeit not quite what I had hoped for. Your idea of using feeds to duplicate dashboards is good.
Again forgive my ignorance. I can understand how the duplicate feeds could work with overview and site specific dashboards but how would I switch between these two dashboards. I have been unable to find any dashboard navigation functions in Adafruit IO. But I could well not be looking in the right place! Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Again many thanks for your prompt and proactive response.

All the best

Andy Fisher

andyfish

by brubell on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:08 pm

You can switch between them from the dashboard listing page: https://io.adafruit.com/USER/dashboards

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.