Position of Blocks on iPhone
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Position of Blocks on iPhone

by JackTheSE on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:11 pm

I have two issues with the positioning of blocks on a dashboard under development:
(1) I have added and deleted a number of blocks on the dashboard, and each time, an added block gets initially positioned further and further down the screen on my PC (using Mozilla). I can position the remaining blocks back to the top of the screen OK, but new blocks go in as if room is taken up somehow. Is there a way to stop this behavior?
(2) Possibly related, when I view the dashboard on an iPhone (using either Safari or Mozilla), the positioning of the blocks do not reflect changes I made on the PC. Again, they are far down the page, and I can't reposition them any way I've tried. Is there a way to do this?

JackTheSE

Re: Position of Blocks on iPhone

by abachman on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:54 am

Hi Jack,

There are two features that will help here when you're in editing mode:

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 10.36.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 10.36.15 AM.png (61.48 KiB) Viewed 66 times

While you're editing, clicking the up arrow button will cause all blocks to squish to the top of the dashboard. "Vertical compacting" is what the layout code calls it. We don't keep it turned on by default, but you could leave it turned on while editing / adding / removing blocks.

The second is the multi-resolution feature represented by the two letter code: LG, MD, SM, or XS (large, medium, small, extra small). If you begin editing a dashboard and then drag your browser window narrower, you should see the dashboard switch between layout resolutions. At each resolution, you can change the arrangement of blocks, and saving will then cause all the arrangements to be stored. Most mobile devices show dashboards at SM or XS resolutions, which means if you edit and save the SM version on your laptop/desktop and then open the same dashboard on your phone/tablet, you'll see the changes you made reflected in the layout.

- adam b.

abachman

Re: Position of Blocks on iPhone

by JackTheSE on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:02 am

Adam...Wow! Exactly the info I needed--thanks. I now have a very good layout on my iPhone using both Mozilla and Safari. Both only seem to display the "XS" resolution, and I can get to that on my PC by making the browser very narrow. I did find that I had to sign out on both Safari and Mozilla on my iPhone to edit and save XS changes on my PC--otherwise I got a key error and could not save on the PC. I noted that once I got a graph block looking good on the iPhone, I had to maintain the same aspect ratio (width to height) for the other resolutions on my PC, but that's OK.

Did I miss something in a tutorial on this? I always hate it when I post a question, and there's an easy answer that I should have found myself. Thanks again...Jack

JackTheSE

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.