IO feeds to Azure
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

IO feeds to Azure

by weskin on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:56 am

Hi,

I'm currently taking data (temp/humidity) from an esp8266 and collecting it in Adafruit IO, its really robust and hasn't missed a beat for over 3 months which is cool. I'm now looking to take it to the next level and was wondering; Does anyone have any advice or pointers on the best way to transfer the data to Azure or AWS so I can start to do a little bit more cloud computing?
Any help would be greatly received.
Thanks,

Wes

weskin

Re: IO feeds to Azure

by brubell on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:52 am

Microsoft has a tutorial about connecting the Feather Huzzah ESP8266 to their Azure IoT hub: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... et-started

brubell

by Bunkr on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:21 am

Thank you Burbell, I'll have a look at this.

Bunkr

by weskin on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:49 am

Hi burbell,

I've tried the Azure format and its really heavy making the data transfer unstable. The data transfer to your Adafruit IO is spot on and hasn't missed a beat for months sending data every 6 seconds. Is it possible to pull the data from my IO feed on Adafruit as this would be a really good solution?
Thanks

weskin

by brubell on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:09 am

weskin wrote:Hi burbell,

I've tried the Azure format and its really heavy making the data transfer unstable. The data transfer to your Adafruit IO is spot on and hasn't missed a beat for months sending data every 6 seconds. Is it possible to pull the data from my IO feed on Adafruit as this would be a really good solution?
Thanks

To clarify, you want to pull the data from Adafruit IO to an Azure server?

You could use the HTTP API: https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs/

or the MQTT API for subscribing to specific temp.humidity feed changes: https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-a ... entation-2

brubell

by weskin on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:18 am

burbell,

Ideally yes, the code I'm using, hardware and data transfer over wifi to my IO account seems really resilient where as the Azure one kept dropping out. I'm looking for the best way to collect the IOT device data and then cloud compute etc from there. I'll have a look at the links you have sent through. Thank you.

weskin

by brubell on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:41 am

weskin wrote:burbell,

Ideally yes, the code I'm using, hardware and data transfer over wifi to my IO account seems really resilient where as the Azure one kept dropping out. I'm looking for the best way to collect the IOT device data and then cloud compute etc from there. I'll have a look at the links you have sent through. Thank you.

You'd probably be best off finding and running a MQTT client on the Azure/AWS instance to subscribe to feeds, and then capturing/logging/computing from there.

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.