Change Feed Data Tiestamp.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Change Feed Data Tiestamp.

by geezer2019 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:22 am

Hi, I note that Adafruit wants to know your time zone.
I also see the timestamps on the data I upload in the feed are timestamped with UTC time. Is there anyway to change and get the timestamp in my time zone (or any other?).
It would sure make reading the data charts easier.

geezer2019

Re: Change Feed Data Tiestamp.

by geezer2019 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:48 am

No wait, now I see the chart is time stamped to my time zone. The downloaded data has UTC timestamp so that is OK I guess. I can convert it. If the data has location (mine does not) does it timestamp per time zone where created?

geezer2019

by brubell on Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:14 pm

geezer2019 wrote:No wait, now I see the chart is time stamped to my time zone. The downloaded data has UTC timestamp so that is OK I guess. I can convert it. If the data has location (mine does not) does it timestamp per time zone where created?

Adafruit IO uses UTC timestamps for data points, regardless if the data has location coordinates

brubell

by abachman on Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi geezer2019,

If the data has location (mine does not) does it timestamp per time zone where created?

Nope. All data is stored with times in UTC. This massively simplifies storage and logic in our backend systems and is pretty typical for web-based services in general. For example, if all times are UTC, then we can more easily sort and index all data across every account, regardless of where it's sent from. Our services also never have to do time zone conversions. Programmers kind of hate timezones, so we avoid them when we can :P

On the user interface side (the io.adafruit.com website) we make a best effort guess at your timezone based on what the browser says its timezone is, but all the data is shipped to the browser--or any other API client--with times in UTC.

- adam

abachman

by geezer2019 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:39 pm

Thanks for the info. Makes sense.

geezer2019

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.