Soil moisture sensor outdoors
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Soil moisture sensor outdoors

by Gerymake on Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:29 am

Hello,

I am planning on installing a capacitive soil moisture sensor outdoors (https://www.adafruit.com/product/4026). I will be straightforward: is it possible to install this sensor outdoors? If possible, do I have to protect it (add a cover, seal the wiring...) or is it completely weather-proof on its own? If not, what should I do to sort it out?

Thanks in advance,
Gerard

Gerymake

Re: Soil moisture sensor outdoors

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:37 am

The circuitry and connectors on the top end of the board are not weatherproof. You can protect it with a conformal coating - preferably one rated for UV exposure. Conformal coatings are available from any of the larger electronics suppliers like Mouser or DigiKey. You can probably find some on Amazon as well.

adafruit_support_bill

by Gerymake on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:28 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:The circuitry and connectors on the top end of the board are not weatherproof. You can protect it with a conformal coating - preferably one rated for UV exposure. Conformal coatings are available from any of the larger electronics suppliers like Mouser or DigiKey. You can probably find some on Amazon as well.

I have made some research. Despite the fact that it seems a great option it may not adjust to what I'm looking for. I need to get it done for a final school project while keeping the budget as low as possible. I have read an option wich may well be viable in my case: using silicone directly, The main downside is temperature, I live in an area where we can reach 35 celsius degrees. Therefore, would you recommend sticking with the conformal coating or cosindering another option?

Thanks,

Gerymake

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:26 pm

Silicone is an option. But avoid the 'acid cure' type since the acid will attack the electronic components. Acid cure silicone is easily recognized since it smells like vinegar.

Look for silicone sealant that is rated as safe to use for electronics or for aquariums. The electronics-safe type can be found in some hardware stores. The aquarium-safe type can be found in pet-stores.

adafruit_support_bill

by Gerymake on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:08 pm

Thank you so much! One last question, shall I apply the silicion/coating to all the electronic components area or omit certain areas? What about the JST pin, how may I seal it (I will buy this JST 4-pin to female socket cable https://www.adafruit.com/product/3950)? And finally, after having applied X substance, is it a good idea to cover the upper part of the sensor with a box (any type of enclosure) or take any other precautions?

PD: Finally I am going to opt for the conformal coating since it seems to be the most reliable and durable method.

Thanks,

Gerymake

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:36 pm

The conformal coating should cover all of the electronic components. But be sure to attach the JST cable before applying the coating. Otherwise, the JST connector will get filled with the coating and you will not be able to plug the cable in.

If you have the sensor and jst plug of the cable well coated, it should be weatherproof enough and not require any additional protection.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.