Icons not appearing
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Icons not appearing

by dolfin on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:27 pm

Aloha,

I'm following the environmental monitor tutorial and got the data to send to IO. The feeds were created automatically and I created the dash board. Text values are being populated and the historical charts are working. But none of the icons are appearing. Was there a step I missed?

https://io.adafruit.com/dolfin/dashboards/environmental-monitor

dolfin

Re: Icons not appearing

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:57 pm

Did you add the icon block:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-io- ... locks-2-14
and then do the Add Data step?

adafruit_support_carter

by dolfin on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:03 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Did you add the icon block:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-io- ... locks-2-14
and then do the Add Data step?

Create New Block
Icon
Check box selected next to temperature
Selected color
Entered w:thermometer in test value
Create Block

The block appears but it is blank

dolfin

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:18 pm

Yep, and then add data to the feed. Find this in the guide and follow from there:
After adding the block to the dashboard, you'll notice there's no icon on the dashboard. That's because the feed is currently empty - there's no icon to display.

Also note there are two separate feeds: "temperature" and "temperature-block". The dashboard icon is attached to the second one.

adafruit_support_carter

by dolfin on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:20 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Yep, and then add data to the feed. Find this in the guide and follow from there:
After adding the block to the dashboard, you'll notice there's no icon on the dashboard. That's because the feed is currently empty - there's no icon to display.

Also note there are two separate feeds: "temperature" and "temperature-block". The dashboard icon is attached to the second one.

Yep, did that too.

Edit: I misunderstood, but now going to Feeds to add it, I can't complete the steps.

Click Feeds
Directions say "click on the temperature-block " but don't have temperature-block, click on temperature instead
Directions say "click Actions -> Add Data" but can't find Actions
Last edited by dolfin on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolfin

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:25 pm

It looks like you selected that data feed here?

Not the icon feed?

Check the box next to temperature-block and also add data to that feed. Not temperature.

adafruit_support_carter

by dolfin on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:It looks like you selected that data feed here?

Not the icon feed?

Check the box next to temperature-block and also add data to that feed. Not temperature.

Click Feeds
Directions say "click on the temperature-block " but don't have temperature-block, click on temperature instead
Directions say "click Actions -> Add Data" but can't find Actions

dolfin

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:31 pm

OK, sounds like you didn't setup the icon feeds. See the part below the blue box that says "IO+ Only":
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-io- ... -feeds-2-5

adafruit_support_carter

by dolfin on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:32 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:OK, sounds like you didn't setup the icon feeds. See the part below the blue box that says "IO+ Only":
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-io- ... -feeds-2-5

I skipped this part "If you have Adafruit IO Plus (unlimited feeds), we'll set up seven additional feeds" because I don't have IO Plus.

So that means no icons for me?

Edit: I was able to set them in the static icon option.

dolfin

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:41 pm

You can still use icons. The limit with free would only be on the number of feeds (10) and data rate (30/min).

Since the guide sets up 7 feeds with 7 icons = 14 feeds total, to do everything in the guide requires non-free. But if you want to work within the 10 feed limit, you can use icons.

adafruit_support_carter

by dolfin on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:45 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:You can still use icons. The limit with free would only be on the number of feeds (10) and data rate (30/min).

Since the guide sets up 7 feeds with 7 icons = 14 feeds total, to do everything in the guide requires non-free. But if you want to work within the 10 feed limit, you can use icons.

What's the difference between creating the icons through the feeds versus just setting them through static? Do they change appearance based on the values if done through feeds?

dolfin

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:52 pm

Yep, that's pretty much it. Static will just be static. But if it's tied to a feed, it will change based on the value of the feed. Where value = something like "w:humidity". If you then sent a new value to the feed of something like "w:thermometer", then the icon would change to the thermometer.

Since you were tying it to your data feed, it didn't know what to show for an actual temperature value, like "23.892". So was just blank.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.