Formatting text block information
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Formatting text block information

by wsquared58 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Is there a way to put the units of measure behind the sensor value number. I'm chugging away at this weather station project and for each sensor reading I want to have a line chart to show trend and have a text block that shows the current value.
Add in a line chart and assign a feed to it and away it goes.
I add the text block for the current reading and it pushes out the number, but to use temperature as an example, the bme280 sends a 75 over to the dashboard. Is there a way to make it read 75 F? I actually got it to do that in the aio.send code but it broke the line graph. I didn't look to see if it was updating in the text box or if it just sent the first value over and stopped.

The only thing Icould think of what to create a seperate feed for the line chart and another for the text block but that didn't seem very efficient to me.

wsquared58

Re: Formatting text block information

by brubell on Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:27 pm

I add the text block for the current reading and it pushes out the number, but to use temperature as an example, the bme280 sends a 75 over to the dashboard. Is there a way to make it read 75 F?

Appending a 'F' character will break the line graph since the value is no longer a number. The two alternatives I can think of are creating two feeds (one for each display) or adding a static text block with the *F symbol next to the block with the temperature.

brubell

Re: Formatting text block information

by wsquared58 on Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:03 pm

I thought of just a static text block but there seems to be a minimum size to the various d ifferent blocks you can add to a given dashboard, I ran in to that same issue when I asked about how to make a dashboard more phone friendly and I think you said resize it in a phone. I tried that a while back and it seems like these different blocks have a minimum size you can't go below. You can make them wider, but not smaller. When I drag the sizer (lower right corner of block) and drag it to a smaller size it just snaps back to this predetermined size.
Hand in hand with that is there a way to right or left justify in a text box? If I could right justify the temperature number and left justify the static text it would be a marginal workaround because of the minimum size but it would look a little better

wsquared58

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.