Connecting to aio without using password and ssid
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Connecting to aio without using password and ssid

by loucrem on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:37 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to write code so i don't have to hard code credentials in every time I move to a different network. I'm using a Feather HUZZAH with ESP8266 WiFi. I have had success using WiFiManager (https://github.com/tzapu/WiFiManager) to connect to my network. Is there a way to connect to aio if I'm already connected to a network?

In the example codes, the line AdafruitIO_WiFi io(IO_USERNAME, IO_KEY, WIFI_SSID, WIFI_PASS) under config.h is whats used to create a client ( I think thats correct), but is there a way to connect without including WIFI_SSID and WIFI_PASS as im already connected to my network? Ive tried searching through the library but cannot find anything that does this.

any help would be appreciated
thank you

loucrem

Re: Connecting to aio without using password and ssid

by brubell on Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:12 pm

This functionality doesn't exist (and isn't tested) within the Adafruit IO Arduino library. However, if you are able to switch this project over to a CircuitPython board - the Adafruit IO CircuitPython library (https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... dafruitIO/) allows you to edit a secrets.py file on the device containing network credentials.

brubell

Re: Connecting to aio without using password and ssid

by 1CM69 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:29 pm

loucrem wrote:Hello,
I'm trying to write code so i don't have to hard code credentials in every time I move to a different network. I'm using a Feather HUZZAH with ESP8266 WiFi. I have had success using WiFiManager (https://github.com/tzapu/WiFiManager) to connect to my network. Is there a way to connect to aio if I'm already connected to a network?

In the example codes, the line AdafruitIO_WiFi io(IO_USERNAME, IO_KEY, WIFI_SSID, WIFI_PASS) under config.h is whats used to create a client ( I think thats correct), but is there a way to connect without including WIFI_SSID and WIFI_PASS as im already connected to my network? Ive tried searching through the library but cannot find anything that does this.

any help would be appreciated
thank you

Hi,
I have just worked through this same issue (well not really an issue) myself.

My sketch is already connected to my WiFi network because it is also sending data to ThingSpeak.

I noticed that the function call
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
io.connect();
became irrelevant and could be commented out.

Now I tidied the code a little more like this

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
#define AIO_USERNAME    "******" // Enter you AIO Username
#define AIO_KEY         "******" // Enter your AIO Key
const char* xssid = ""; // Leave empty
const char* xpassword = ""; // Leave empty

AdafruitIO_WiFi io(AIO_USERNAME, AIO_KEY, xssid, xpassword); // This now connect to AIO without using your WiFi credentials as long as your are connected to your network first.

More of a dirty fix, try it at your own risk.

Kirk

1CM69

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.