Keeping Dashboard Alive
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Keeping Dashboard Alive

by grandaphi on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:42 am

I'm trying to get a chromebook to display a permanent live view of the adafruit IO dashboard I am setting up which will show when people are in or out of the office using their wifi connection and IFTT to update their binary statuses (IN/OUT). I have switches that show these statuses on the dashboard, and these toggle when IN or OUT is sent from IFTT to the feed. The switches can also be manually toggled on the touch screen of the chromebook which updates the feed.

Problem is that the page seems to 'timeout' and the switches won't toggle after a certain time if IFTTT updates the feed. I tried using a chrome extension (Staying Alive and others) to send requests and/or refresh the page at set intervals. This doesn't fix the issue.

Strange thing is, that if I toggle the switch manually on the chromebook, the feed is still updated, but the switch still won't toggle from feed updates from elsewhere.

Can anybody help with this?

grandaphi

Re: Keeping Dashboard Alive

by macraj on Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:38 am

Hi, I have the same problem. Maybe it's Adafruit IO error. I'll try this on other MQTT service.

macraj

by abachman on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:29 pm

Hi grandaphi,

How long are you leaving the page open and is there anything else on the dashboard? Does the dashboard _ever_ update the live state of the toggle switch or does it never work when the feed is updated by IFTTT?

What data is being sent to the feed and how did you configure the toggles?

If you have the same dashboard open in two tabs and toggle a switch in one, does it toggle on the other?

- adam b.

abachman

by grandaphi on Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:16 am

Hi thanks for your reply @abachman. It seems to be working now, and I haven't changed much, although I believe there was a support issue raised by @brentr via the adafruit io discord channel where I posted this same issue. Perhaps something has changed in the back end?

To answer your questions: I leave the page open constantly as it is a sign in/out touch screen for our office (under trial) and it currently has 7 feeds which represent staff, with either 'IN' or 'OUT' strings toggling the switches, the string value sent by IFTTT when connecting and disconnecting,respectively, to our wifi . There is also a stream, which shows errors, and the events of the first 5 feeds I set up (stream is currently limited to 5 feeds :( ), with timestamps.

I am still using the Staying Alive chrome extension, with 1 min background requests. I will try turning this off to see if it changes anything.

Cheers

grandaphi

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.