IFTTT - GPS Location
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

IFTTT - GPS Location

by bernd_d on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:54 am

Hi,

I'm new here and really like Adafruit IO. I send LoraWAN sensor data and currently visualize them in Dashboards which works great.

Now I tried to get GPS location information into IO. The data is send from TheThingsNetwork --> IFTTT --> Adafruit IO (like for the other sensors).
However it seems I missed somewhere to format the GPS data the right way within IFTTT. I see the correct GPS lat and lon information in the feed table.
I hope I didn't miss it in the forum search somewhere...

Currently the value field in the feed table looks like this (replaced the GPS coordinates with '1'):

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
value : 0, lat : 11.1111, lon : 1.1111   

In the next column it seems that a location is recognized as there is a "Location" column in the feed table with a "view" button.
If I click the button I see an ID. However when I create a map block within a Dashboard it isn't populated with the feed values...but it feels I'm close to it ;-)

My question is what is the right way to format the data within IFTTT so that Adafruit IO correctly recognizes the data as GPS information and the map block can visualize it ?

Would appreciate your thoughts or a pointer in the right direction.

Best regards, Bernd

bernd_d

Re: IFTTT - GPS Location

by brubell on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:42 am

It seems like you're sending everything correctly. Could you take a screenshot of your Feed page and post it below?

brubell

by bernd_d on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:23 pm

Thank you for your reply

brubell wrote:It seems like you're sending everything correctly. Could you take a screenshot of your Feed page and post it below?

I attach a screenshot of my feed page and the popup window that appears when pressing "view" in the location column.

Regards,
Bernd
Attachments
Popup_Window_Location.png
Popup window when pressing "view" in the feed page
Popup_Window_Location.png (49.97 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Screenshot_Feedpage.png
Screenshot of feed page with location column
Screenshot_Feedpage.png (313.58 KiB) Viewed 112 times

bernd_d

by brubell on Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:27 am

It seems like you're sending the location in the value field. The map block looks for location as metadata in the location field, highlighted below in red:
locfield1.png
locfield1.png (46.37 KiB) Viewed 101 times

Here's an example of a feed with the location field populated correctly:
locfield.png
locfield.png (11.61 KiB) Viewed 101 times

IFTTT should be sending GPS location as optional metadata, along with the value:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
# Send new data with a value of 42 and include optional location metadata
curl -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"value": 42, "lat": 23.1, "lon": "-73.3"}'  -H "X-AIO-Key: {io_key}" https://io.adafruit.com/api/v2/{username}/feeds/{feed_key}/data

Reference: https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs/#create-data

Could you post the IFTTT setup?

brubell

by bernd_d on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:41 am

Thanks for the working sample. Attached the IFTTT setup as per GUI.

Thanks for you support!

Regards, Bernd
Attachments
IFTTT_Setup_GUI_GPS_location.png
IFTTT_Setup_GUI_GPS_location.png (167.01 KiB) Viewed 96 times

bernd_d

by brubell on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:53 am

Seems like the IFTTT integration sends everything to the value field instead of separating it. Wanna see if using https://zapier.com makes it possible to send metadata as well as the value field?

brubell

by bernd_d on Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:14 am

brubell wrote:Seems like the IFTTT integration sends everything to the value field instead of separating it. Wanna see if using https://zapier.com makes it possible to send metadata as well as the value field?

Thank you for the additional option with zapier, but I'd prefer not to use another service ;-)
Maybe it is just the wrong data format or keywords I used within ifttt ? Any specific keywords on the IO side that are necessary to fill the location column?

bernd_d

by brubell on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:22 am

bernd_d wrote:
brubell wrote:Seems like the IFTTT integration sends everything to the value field instead of separating it. Wanna see if using https://zapier.com makes it possible to send metadata as well as the value field?

Thank you for the additional option with zapier, but I'd prefer not to use another service ;-)
Maybe it is just the wrong data format or keywords I used within ifttt ? Any specific keywords on the IO side that are necessary to fill the location column?

IFTTT may be only filling the value field, instead of sending extra fields (for the location) to IFTTT such as lat/lon/ele.

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.