[SOLVED] IO Connects at Home, but not at School
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

[SOLVED] IO Connects at Home, but not at School

by jrichbcs on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:05 pm

I have enjoyed getting to "know" the Huzzah ESP8266 recently. It is amazing! I first experimented at the school where I work IT. I was not able to connect to Adafruit IO on the school WIFI (Meraki APs and Switches) but at home I got right on (Ubiquiti Unify AP). Some of what I read online suggested using a static IP, but I have not found how to do that with Adafruit IO. My code uploads but gets stuck waiting for a connection. The Serial.print(io.status()); shows 1;s then switches to 2's. Any suggestions are appreciated.

jrichbcs

Re: IO Connects at Home, but not at School

by franklin97355 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:24 pm

Do you have any security on your school network and does it require a login or scan for mac addresses?

franklin97355

by jim_lee on Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:49 am

Use your smart phone as a hotspot and connect that way. I noticed all the kids at our local high school doing this to get around all the nanny filter stuff in their computer lab.

-jim lee

jim_lee

by jrichbcs on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:23 pm

We use OpenDNS and have a tight firewall, but it passes typical Internet ports.
The WIFI does not require a login, just the SSID and passcode.
It does not scan for Mac addresses.

jrichbcs

by jrichbcs on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:26 pm

I thought about the phone hotspot, but the application I have in mind is a permanent installation.
Also, our Meraki setup detects local hotspots and blocks rogue SSIDs. (Meraki Air Marshall)
Thanks for the idea, though.

jrichbcs

by brubell on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:20 am

jrichbcs wrote:I thought about the phone hotspot, but the application I have in mind is a permanent installation.
Also, our Meraki setup detects local hotspots and blocks rogue SSIDs. (Meraki Air Marshall)
Thanks for the idea, though.

Adafruit IO Arduino doesn't currently support WPA2 Enterprise WiFi (if your school uses that). I'd be interested in someone adding it (via a pull request).

If you're interested in switching over to CircuitPython, Adafruit IO CircuitPython supports WPA2 via the ESP32SPI library (here's some example code to get you started: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... io_post.py).

brubell

by jrichbcs on Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Thank you. That makes good sense. And thanks for the sample Code!

jrichbcs

Re: [SOLVED] IO Connects at Home, but not at School

by jrichbcs on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:59 pm

Found a workaround, maybe not a great one, but works. I created an open but hidden SSID and limited the bandwidth to 500k, so anyone who finds it won't like it. Our public one with passcode has much more bandwidth. The Huzzah readily connects to the hidden open one.

jrichbcs

Re: [SOLVED] IO Connects at Home, but not at School

by franklin97355 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks for the update. School networks are not the easiest things to connect to as they need quite good security to keep the kids out.

franklin97355

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.