Huzzah 8266 breakout i2s data - vs RX issues
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Huzzah 8266 breakout i2s data - vs RX issues

by Jonas_D on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:30 am

Hi,
I am trying to connect a Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266 breakout to a Adafruit I2S Stereo Decoder - UDA1334A to be able to play audio. The setup is like this:
ftdi-board <-> Huzzah <-> UDA1334 board. I suspect I am running into an issue with the dual use of the RX pin for UART vs i2s data pin.

SW: it seems i get everything working sw wise.
i2s_begin();
i2s_set_rate(44100);
and later in a loop: i2s_write_lr(sample, sample);

i2s word select and i2s bit clock are verified using oscilloscope and look correct. i2s data does not look correct. I have disconnected the cable from FTDI.

Any ideas what might be the issue would be much appreciated.

Jonas_D

Re: Huzzah 8266 breakout i2s data - vs RX issues

by Jonas_D on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:24 am

Apologize if this should go in another section of the forum - maybe I can get a mod to move it?

Update: I believe the issue I am having is that the level shifter on the breakout board prevents the GPIO-3 being used as an output. Too bad since it is the only way to get i2s data from the 8266 afaik :(

Anyone who know a way to connect an i2s output from a Huzzah 8266 breakout? Or must I find some other piece of hardware?

Jonas_D

Re: Huzzah 8266 breakout i2s data - vs RX issues

by Jonas_D on Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:19 am

Finally managed to solve this. There are two things needed:

1) An external 10k pull-down resistor on the RX pin of the Huzzah breakout board. (This will make sure there is an output voltage outside the level shifter. It is just a series diode after all)
2) Disconnecting the FTDI - RX-pin efter programming.

Jonas_D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.