Using Arduino Uno GPIO pins?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Using Arduino Uno GPIO pins?

by GCRicker on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:13 am

I'm a newbie to this, so I hope this question isn't too dumb. I successfully completed all the examples in the Adafruit IO guides, but none of them showed me how to use my Arduino Uno's GPIO pins. The examples just showed using the ESP8266 GPIO pins. Could someone point me in the right direction to where I can find examples of how I can use the ESP8266 just as a Wi-Fi pass-thru getting from Adafruit IO to my Arduino Uno for both input and output?

Thanks.

GCRicker

Re: Using Arduino Uno GPIO pins?

by brubell on Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:33 am

If you want to use an Arduino uno with Adafruit IO (adding WiFi to it), you may want to pick up an Adafruit AirLift Shield (https://www.adafruit.com/product/4285).

If you don't want to use this, could you explain your setup so far and what you exactly want to do?

brubell

Re: Using Arduino Uno GPIO pins?

by GCRicker on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:02 am

brubell, I guess I bought the wrong product from Adafruit. I'm a beginner with Arduino and purchased an Elegoo kit. I completed all the demos in that kit, and thought I'd continue my training by learning how to control and record my Arduino projects using Wi-Fi. I purchased Adafruit's Huzzah ESP8266 Breakout and Adafruit's USB to TTL Serial Cable. As I mentioned on my first post, I've successfully did all the IO demos that Adafruit provides, but none of their demos included the actual Arduino, They use the Arduino IDE and the Huzzah ESP8266 Breakout, However, thy don't explain how to control the Arduino's ATMEGA328P pins using the Huzzah ESP8266 Breakout as a Wi-Fi pass-thru.

I couldn't post what I've done, since I didn't know where to start. I guess though, if the Huzzah ESP8266 Breakout is unable to communicate with the Uno, then there is no need to continue to investigate how to. The Airlift shield that you mentioned is more money on top of the money I already spent on the Huzzah ESP8266 Breakout, so I'm going to give up.

Thank you for you reply.

GCRicker

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.