🎁📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 2 Day orders by 11am Monday, December 16 📦❄️📬🎁

Pushing data from an app through IO to another connected dev
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pushing data from an app through IO to another connected dev

by Swoledier on Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi there!

I’m looking to use two BLE Feathers to communicate over a long (too far for BT) distance. My plan is to have each feather connect to an iPhone via BLE and then an iPhone app that relays data from the feather through Adafruit IO to the second phone which then relays data to the second feather via BLE.

My question is can I use Adafruit IO through an iOS app? Most of the guides I’ve seen rely on creating a dashboard online but don’t discuss being able to use an app.

The use case of my project doesn’t allow for constant WiFi connection so I’d like to leverage the cellular service of an iPhone paired to the Feather.

Here’s what I’d like to happen:
-User 1 presses a button in their feather.
-The feather relays information to the iPhone its paired with
-the iPhone relays that information to User 2’s iPhone by means of Adafruit IO
-User 2’s iPhone receives the data from Adafruit IO
-User 2’s iPhone relays that information to the feather it’s paired with (via BLE)
-The second feather performs an action based on the data it got

Swoledier

Re: Pushing data from an app through IO to another connected

by brubell on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:14 am

Is there any specific reason you're using Adafruit IO for this project? From what you described, BLE<->BLE communication between these feathers seems to be the way to go. Cellular data may be overkill.

My question is can I use Adafruit IO through an iOS app? Most of the guides I’ve seen rely on creating a dashboard online but don’t discuss being able to use an app.

You can use the Adafruit Bluefruit LE Connect app's MQTT feature (https://learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-le-connect/mqtt) to send data from your Feather connected to your phone (over BLE) to Adafruit IO.

brubell

by Swoledier on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Well the reason I need some sort of cloud service is that the two feathers that need to communicate are well beyond Bluetooth range.

The goal of this project is to make a little device that can communicate to someone else across the country. Perhaps I could try using cellular or GSM instead of BLE-to-cloud.

I guess what I really am looking for is to be able to leverage the cellular connection of an iPhone to be able to send/receive data to/from anywhere and then to use BLE to transmit that data to a Feather.

Swoledier

by brubell on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:10 pm

Swoledier wrote:Well the reason I need some sort of cloud service is that the two feathers that need to communicate are well beyond Bluetooth range.

The goal of this project is to make a little device that can communicate to someone else across the country. Perhaps I could try using cellular or GSM instead of BLE-to-cloud.

I guess what I really am looking for is to be able to leverage the cellular connection of an iPhone to be able to send/receive data to/from anywhere and then to use BLE to transmit that data to a Feather.

Ok - that's a good use case. Check out the BLE Connect App I linked above for information about making a connecting between a BLE Feather, a mobile device, and Adafruit IO.

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.