can you copy a full screen link
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

can you copy a full screen link

by DevilWAH on Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to get the full screen link for a dashboard. I want my Pi that runs in a kiso mode to open the dashboard full screen. I don't see how to link directly to the full screen view?

DevilWAH

Re: can you copy a full screen link

by brubell on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:36 am

Unfortunately, you can't get a full screen link to the dashboard. You'll need to manually start the full screen view.

This would be a great suggestion for the Adafruit IO Feature thread here: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=139746

brubell

by DevilWAH on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23 am

brubell wrote:Unfortunately, you can't get a full screen link to the dashboard. You'll need to manually start the full screen view.

This would be a great suggestion for the Adafruit IO Feature thread here: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=139746

Done, and as per the post there it would also be nice to be able put link on one dashboard to another. For example have one dash for monitoring and one for changing setting, with the ability to embed links you could make a simple "app" that would work nicely on a touch screen device :)

DevilWAH

by brubell on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:30 pm

DevilWAH,

Good news! As of this morning, Adafruit IO Dashboards have a "kiosk" mode URL that will launch the dashboard in a "no browsing mode" without any of the surrounding page.

To enable this, visit your dashboard and make the dashboard public. Then, click on the "Share this Dashboard" button:
kiosk_mode.png
kiosk_mode.png (103.61 KiB) Viewed 93 times

You can also add ?kiosk=true to the link to switch to the dashboard in kiosk mode.

Here's what a regular Adafruit IO Dashboard looks like:
non_kiosk.png
non_kiosk.png (125.66 KiB) Viewed 93 times

And with Kiosk Mode:
kiosk_mode_on.png
kiosk_mode_on.png (248.13 KiB) Viewed 93 times

It's important to note that you will need to manually make the browser fullscreen to take advantage of Kiosk Mode, browser vendors prevent us from doing this. (If this was allowed by the vendor, every time you visit a "sketchy" url, your browser view could take over your entire screen).

- brent r.

brubell

by DevilWAH on Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:03 pm

That's brilliant thank you.

I have a config for raspberry pi that on boots opens Chrome in Kiosk mode (full screen) and opens a link / scrolls though multiple links.

I will post is here in the next few days as I think a Pi with the 7inch touch screen would make a perfect companion device for IO, when it comes to monitoring dashboards

DevilWAH

by brubell on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:42 am

DevilWAH wrote:That's brilliant thank you.

I have a config for raspberry pi that on boots opens Chrome in Kiosk mode (full screen) and opens a link / scrolls though multiple links.

I will post is here in the next few days as I think a Pi with the 7inch touch screen would make a perfect companion device for IO, when it comes to monitoring dashboards

Sweet - I have a 7inch Rpi display in a drawer at my desk, would <3 to get it going with Kiosk mode :)

brubell

by DevilWAH on Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:22 am

brubell wrote:
DevilWAH wrote:That's brilliant thank you.

Sweet - I have a 7inch Rpi display in a drawer at my desk, would <3 to get it going with Kiosk mode :)

ONE issue i am seeing is that the javescript does not run in standard Chromium Kiosk Mode but been caught up with another part of my project so still checking the fix.

But for a simple straightforward Kiosk display this is the tutorial i original followed. https://www.danpurdy.co.uk/web-developm ... -tutorial/ . This required you have the desktop image installed. you can also do the same but with out the desktop environment might be good for the Pi 2, or if you want to reduce the power / security footprint. https://www.sylvaindurand.org/launch-ch ... iosk-mode/

But yes at the moment need to get the javascript running when in Kiosk mode.

DevilWAH

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.