External JSON feed examples to IO

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
wsquared58

External JSON feed examples to IO

Post by wsquared58 »

Are there any end to end examples of getting external JSON data (if it is the most appropriate) packaging it up, I assume via MQQT or HTTP and subsequently using that as a feed in IO+? I know the last parts are doable but all the examples I have seen are somewhat freestanding (PyPortal devices) that are doing a lot of programmatic work on the device hardware display and controller that are not needed (I'm pretty sure) with IO. It does all the graphic heavy lifting. I do well with examples but the PyPortal examples have to many dissimilarities due to the hardware and graphics code for me to see how to get that to Python 3 which I am just starting to learn.

My particular use case is to bring in the data from the NOAA Tides and Currents site. They have options for JSON, XML, CSV. I understand in broad strokes that JSON and CSV are just ways of packaging data. I've used CSV plenty but in the context of dumping data in to Excel to build trends.

There is a CO-OPS API URL Builder with a choice of DATA API, METADATA API, DERIVED PRODUCTS API
DATA API using the station nearest me yields the following

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/api/d ... ormat=json

I broadly understand all the parts, I don't understand how you connect them end to end to output a refresh-able trend-line in IO similar to how I send Adafruit sensor data to IO although I assume it is somewhat similar.

The default refresh rate on the NOAA tides data is 6 minutes, my python weather scripts are 5 minutes so that isn't really an issue.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”