IPv6 Wired Network
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

IPv6 Wired Network

by tim128bit on Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:37 pm

Hello Adafruit,

I would really like to start bringing my IoT projects into the 20th century, and use IPv6 addressing. Aside from the fact that IPv4 just needs to go away, IPv6 allows communication device to device across the Internet without a lot of complicated NAT rules, especially when many devices are involved.

Wiznet makes a dual-stack version of their Ethernet chip, the W6100. https://www.wiznet.io/product-item/w6100/

Any chance you would consider making a shield that has the newer dual stack chip? Could you swap out the 5500 for the 6100 in the Ethernet featherwing, or something that you have already designed?

If you really wanted to make my day, I would love an Arduino compatible board with this Ethernet chip on it, and the center tap pins wired out somewhere so that I could make it PoE capable. From an IoT perspective, there are so many possibilities for a PoE capable micro-controller, especially if it had a reasonable amount of I/O. Things like network addressable signage, clocks, and especially data collection and control would benefit tremendously from PoE and a wired connection.

An all-in-one board would be great, but even an Ethernet shield that goes with a Feather or a Metro would make it work. I just need an IPv6 capable chip, and a way to power the board with PoE besides an in-line splitter.

Thanks!

tim128bit

Re: IPv6 Wired Network

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:06 am

I'll mention it to the products team, but can't make any promises.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.