IO Dashboard Buttons greyed out
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

IO Dashboard Buttons greyed out

by LXOne on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:57 am

Hi all,

I have created a dashboard that works fine when logged in locally to my Adafruit account. There are buttons that trigger lighting states on a lamp in my home. Push button, recieve lighting effect, etc. When I make the dashboard (and relevant feed) public and share the link, the buttons are greyed out. They are only manipulatable when I am logged in to the account. Any thoughts? I want to be able to have a member of the public (friends, family, etc) just load the page and play with the lights without having to log in.

https://io.adafruit.com/LXOne/dashboards/test

Thanks

LXOne

Re: IO Dashboard Buttons greyed out

by brubell on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:35 am

I want to be able to have a member of the public (friends, family, etc) just load the page and play with the lights without having to log in.

You'll want to share this dashboard, follow this guide for more information: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-io- ... -dashboard

Whoever is viewing the dashboard will need an Adafruit IO Account (not your account, just an adafruit io account) to have full access to view and interact with the live streaming data from feeds on the dashboard.

brubell

by LXOne on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks Brubell. So just to confirm, for someone to interact with the buttons, etc, they have to log in to an account? If so, is there a reason for this? It's a shame it can't be a free for all with button smashing!

LXOne

by brubell on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:36 pm

LXOne wrote:Thanks Brubell. So just to confirm, for someone to interact with the buttons, etc, they have to log in to an account? If so, is there a reason for this? It's a shame it can't be a free for all with button smashing!

Yep, they'll need an Adafruit IO Account.

The Adafruit IO Website uses the Adafruit API. Pressing the button sends a value to the Feed, similar to how you'd do it programmatically. The member's data rates are enforced for these types of actions to avoid flooding the feed (or our servers).

non-logged in button smashing is not allowed: if someone found many public dashboards with buttons, they could flood the server. We'd like to prevent this, it'll keep the Adafruit IO servers online.

- brent r.

brubell

by LXOne on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:00 pm

Hi, yes all makes sense!

Thanks for your replies

LXOne

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.