Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Unable connect Adafruit IO with MKR 1000
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Unable connect Adafruit IO with MKR 1000

by ExaurUK on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:13 pm

HI, I have an existing project on an Arduino MKR 1000. I want to show info on Adafruit.IO but I cannot connect. I have an account and have pasted my credentials where they need to go.
I have tried hacking around the code from Examples adafruitio_00_publish and adafruitio_01_subcribe but these won't work on their own for my MKR1000.
In my existing code I am already connecting to WiFi and successfully pinging io.adafruit.com, but I cannot get io.connect to work when I add the adafruit libraries, config.h, secrets.h etc.
I get status message No Network connection then Disconnected from Adafruit IO.
My questions are - is there a simple flow chart or description that shows the basic features that need to be in place before a connection can be made, and any advice how I can run simple checks to determine whether each if these components are in place. Is there an example that has useful comments in that would help with making this connection.
There are lots of fancy tutorials to do what looks like the simple stuff, but there seems to be bit of a gap describing what needs to be in place on non-adafruit hardware to get connected. I'd really like to get on and configure my project. Many thanks.

ExaurUK

Re: Unable connect Adafruit IO with MKR 1000

by brubell on Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:18 am

Forum user ChrisBuck was going through this issue and figured out:
In case someone else runs into this issue, it turned out to be that the MKR1010 currently ships without a root certificate required for the SSL connection to Adafruit, and there's not yet a fw update tool ready to load one. Use the MKR1000 instead.

via viewtopic.php?f=56&t=140834

My questions are - is there a simple flow chart or description that shows the basic features that need to be in place before a connection can be made, and any advice how I can run simple checks to determine whether each if these components are in place. Is there an example that has useful comments in that would help with making this connection.

Secure authentication with Adafruit IO requires a root certificate along with your adafruit io login credentials

brubell

by ExaurUK on Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:39 pm

Many thanks for the advice folks. Sounds like that is probably something I need to do and it would have taken me a very long time to figure that out, I did find some info about loading SSL Certs to the MKR 1000 and will try Adafruint IO again in the future. In the meantime I ran a server on the MKR 1000 and wrote in some HTML to display my data. Not as pretty as Adafruit.IO though.

ExaurUK

by cschick on Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:49 pm

BTW, you can also post to AdafruitIO using HTTP REST. I had to do that because the usual library wouldn't work in my set up. So I sent data via JSON (via ArduinoJSON).

In this doc, the author shows how to use ArduinoJSON to send data to AdafruitIO.
https://arduinojson.org/v6/doc/serialization/

cschick

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.