Adafruit Industries, Essential service and business: NYC – Executive Order 202.6 - Read more.

Multi-User Dashboard Possible?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Multi-User Dashboard Possible?

by zinty on Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:16 pm

My teaching suddenly went remote. I am looking to replace my embedded systems class's final project with an online project.
Looking for something collaborative in a time where students will feel isolated.
Can IO+ handle a dashboard where approx 40 students in different locations each stream data from an Arduino? It's slow, simple data like temperature data.

Can multiple users log in to see a dashboard? Not sure how that works with a IO+ subscription.

Since everyone won't have 24/7 internet access, can I search old data to see if a stream existed at some point?

Any relevant examples?

Thanks -- Many questions.

zinty

Re: Multi-User Dashboard Possible?

by brubell on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:21 am

Hi Zinty,

Can IO+ handle a dashboard where approx 40 students in different locations each stream data from an Arduino? It's slow, simple data like temperature data.

This is not currently possible in AIO, it won't be a big collaborative board. Everything listed the Public records page (https://io.adafruit.com/YOURUSERNAME/public) is available as read-only data to anyone who visits Adafruit IO on the web or via the HTTP or MQTT APIs. It's share-able but not currently write-able.

Can multiple users log in to see a dashboard? Not sure how that works with a IO+ subscription.

Yes, multiple users need to log into see a shared, public, dashboard. They will each need a unique Adafruit IO account (don't necessarily need to be IO Plus).

Since everyone won't have 24/7 internet access, can I search old data to see if a stream existed at some point?

Your students may be able to publicize their Feeds or Dashboard with you and the class. When teaching them, ensure they turn Feed History to ON for the feeds they share. Feeds will retain data with IO Free for 30 days (60 days with IO+ accounts).

For more info about this, please see: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-io- ... ing-a-feed

We're here to answer any other questions you may have about this,

- Brent R.

brubell

by zinty on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:44 am

Okay. I like the idea of students publicizing their feeds. It seems like we will be able to do a lot with that, pulling everything into a spreadsheet and using Python to plot it all together. I can't spend time making that right now, but do have a little time to search for an example. One of the students might take this as a challenge.
Even if we don't figure it out this semester, students in this class love IoT, and the 30 day history is a great match to our timeframe. Thanks --

zinty

by brubell on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:46 am

zinty wrote:Okay. I like the idea of students publicizing their feeds. It seems like we will be able to do a lot with that, pulling everything into a spreadsheet and using Python to plot it all together. I can't spend time making that right now, but do have a little time to search for an example. One of the students might take this as a challenge.
Even if we don't figure it out this semester, students in this class love IoT, and the 30 day history is a great match to our timeframe. Thanks --

If you're at an institution which assigns .edu email addresses, they can get a free Adafruit IO Plus account with the GitHub Bundle, it'll link to their Adafruit account:

https://blog.adafruit.com/2020/01/16/gr ... -adafruit/

re: pulling into a spreadshreadsheet.

IO allows you to download feed data, straight from the Feed page on IO Web, as CSV data. Python can parse CSV files easily :)

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.