Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality.

Wi-Fi Thermometer: what parts to get?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Wi-Fi Thermometer: what parts to get?

by sg32 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:17 pm

I'm interested in creating a low-cost device that can sense the temperature and post the results over WIFI to a web address. Doing this with CircuitPython should be easy, but I can't figure out which pieces of equipment to purchase to put together.

The MCP9808 high-accuracy temperature sensor is $4.95, and then the HUZZAH ESP8266 WiFi for $9.95, but it doesn't run Circuit Python, and it's not clear to me if I can connect the MCP9808 to the ESP8266 or if I need some other kind of glue. The ESP8266 runs Lau which doesn't seem that hard to learn. But it only runs on 3.3V, and it's not clear to me how to generate 3.3V. Since this is for long-term monitoring, it would be best if I could power this from a cheap USB power supply.

I'm really a software person, not a hardware person. I would greatly appreciate anyone who can tell me what to purchase and put together; I'll happily post the code afterwards.

sg32

Re: Wi-Fi Thermometer: what parts to get?

by brubell on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:47 am

Doing this with CircuitPython should be easy, but I can't figure out which pieces of equipment to purchase to put together.

If you'd like to retain the Feather form factor and run CircuitPython:

If you want a lower-cost option, the Feather HUZZAH ESP8266 (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2821) will work with the Adafruit IO Arduino library, too.
We have example Arduino code for the Feather ESP8266 here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mcp ... duino-code
You'd need to modify the Temperature and Humidity demo for Adafruit IO Basics to replace the DHT22 sensor used with your MCP9808 sensor

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.