Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality.

MQTT > Adafruit IO > IFTTT > Twitter delays
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

MQTT > Adafruit IO > IFTTT > Twitter delays

by Systembolaget on Sun May 10, 2020 5:50 pm

1. When wanting to tweet if a button was pressed, a door was opened or some other one-shot action occurred, the timing is off, as shown in the screenshots below. I made sure that after publishing a 1 (pressed, opened, etc.) immediately a 0 is published so as to trigger only a one-shot event. IFTTT unfortunately does not reveal how frequently it watches an Adafruit IO topic. Are these sometimes up to 20 minutes long delays between a value registered at the Adafruit IO feed and the corresponding tweet appearing in the Twitter timeline normal? Is there an Adafruit IO or IFTTT limit? Is there a way around the delay?

Skärmbild 14.42.31.png
Skärmbild 14.42.31.png (537.16 KiB) Viewed 34 times

Skärmbild 18.45.09.png
Skärmbild 18.45.09.png (115.18 KiB) Viewed 34 times

2. The IFTTT > Twitter applet fails, if the tweets are identical. One can include a timestamp in the applet to make each tweet unique.

Skärmbild 15.22.09.png
Skärmbild 15.22.09.png (53.16 KiB) Viewed 34 times

Systembolaget

Re: MQTT > Adafruit IO > IFTTT > Twitter delays

by brubell on Tue May 12, 2020 10:38 am

Unfortunately the delay is on IFTTT's side, not IO. IFTTT integrations may take around 15-20 minutes to trigger.

You may also want to try Zapier instead of IFTTT, it's a similar platform and may have a shorter delay. We have a guide about using IO with Zapier here: https://learn.adafruit.com/using-zapier ... dafruit-io

brubell

by lagombra on Tue May 12, 2020 3:26 pm

Yeah, well... just gave Zapier a try. Looks neat, but AIO > IFTTT > Twitter response time is 5 to 17 minutes, while AIO > Zapier > Twitter response time is 15 minutes minimum as per Zapier's $0 and $19.99 per month plans. I pitched IFTTT against Zapier and IFTTT won by 7 minutes, quite a difference. For true near-real-time alerts, SMS is probably the better option.

Also, IFTTT is happy tweeting away, while Zapier's free tier has a 100 tasks per month (e. g. tweets) limit, and then Zapier stopped after the first tweet because it says Twitter blocks duplicate tweets. The timestamp added prevents this reliably via IFTTT but not via Zapier, so it seems.

Skärmbild 20.59.35.png
Skärmbild 20.59.35.png (148.7 KiB) Viewed 30 times

In that sense, IFTTT is better, also because if Zapier checks only every 15 minutes, it will surely catch a value of 0 after a button was pressed, a door was opened or some other one-shot action occurred.

For our academic projects, I am ok with spending $99 for AIO and maybe, just maybe, $199 for IFTTT, in case one gets a better response time with the IFTTT developer account instead of the free tier. There's no information on that. I have to ask, I guess.

lagombra

by Systembolaget on Wed May 27, 2020 1:21 pm

Problem with Zapier > Twitter is that, for some reason, adding a timestamp to a tweet still invokes the "duplicate tweet" error, so even if one expects a message seldomly, only the first one will ever arrive. IFTTT > Twitter with added timestamp works.

Or does someone know a workaround for Zapier?

Systembolaget

by brubell on Fri May 29, 2020 10:15 am

Are you able to add a timestamp to the twitter text within the zapier workflow builder?

brubell

by Systembolaget on Fri May 29, 2020 10:30 am

Yeah, but Twitter somehow doesn't respect that, while it does so with the one added in IFTTT.

Systembolaget

by brubell on Fri May 29, 2020 10:44 am

Systembolaget wrote:Yeah, but Twitter somehow doesn't respect that, while it does so with the one added in IFTTT.

Strange, I personally only use zapier to tweet and haven't hit that issue.

You may want to check...
Before posting updates to Twitter, a Zap will first check that the same post hasn't been made by any Zaps under the same Zapier user's account. The error message means that the same status was posted by either the same Zap or another Zap. Twitter has strict policies on automation and the use of multiple accounts

via https://zapier.com/help/doc/common-problems-twitter

brubell

by Systembolaget on Fri May 29, 2020 7:05 pm

What I did.
Skärmbild 00.50.48.png
Skärmbild 00.50.48.png (85.56 KiB) Viewed 12 times

What I should do instead?
Skärmbild 00.51.38.png
Skärmbild 00.51.38.png (223.72 KiB) Viewed 12 times

Is the second way the one you do it to avoid duplicate tweets? First way is only a static timestamp at Zap creation time?

By the way, what about Zapier's free plan (every 15 minutes) polling of an Adafruit IO feed, wouldn't that miss an event that triggers a 1 and immediately after a 0 - a "one shot" action, like a button pressed or a window smashed?

Systembolaget

by Systembolaget on Sun May 31, 2020 12:03 pm

Too bad, also a proper timestamp results in Zapier stopping the Zap from tweeting the same notification more than once.

"Your Zap named Create tweet in Twitter when get feed data in Adafruit IO was just stopped. This happened because our systems detected this Zap posted a duplicate tweet, which is against Twitter's Terms Of Service."

Strange, I personally only use zapier to tweet and haven't hit that issue.

How did you manage to get it working?

Systembolaget

by Systembolaget on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:51 pm

Could you maybe share the way you managed Zapier to tweet "Rear door opened" more than once? Even with a timestamp, it is flagged as duplicate tweet, unlike via IFTTT.

Systembolaget

by brubell on Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:58 am

> Strange, I personally only use zapier to tweet and haven't hit that issue.

To clarify, I meant that I only use Zapier to tweet about IO library releases which are unique. I use IFTTT for most things.

I'm going to email Zapier's support about this issue, though and follow-up with you.

brubell

by Systembolaget on Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:05 pm

Thanks, that would be great. I have testet this extensively for several weeks and my findings are:

AIO feed > IFTTT + timestamp = tweet with same alert message always arrives at my feed in 6 - 37 minutes

AIO feed > Zapier + timestamp = tweet with same alert message arrives only once after 15 minutes and then blocked

Systembolaget

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.