Clear all data points in a feed?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
breckymorris

Clear all data points in a feed?

Post by breckymorris »

I've seen a number of posts inquiring about removing all data from a feed but keeping the feed, but I've never seen it answered. Is there a way to do it via GUI or from a command line (via curl, for example)?

It comes up frequently for me - like I make a change to the program and then I have all this stale data and the plot scale is goofy or I move the sensor from testing into 'production' and the same thing happens. Removing the entire feed and recreating it isn't convenient.

Thanks,

Brecky

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: Clear all data points in a feed?

Post by brubell »

Hi Brecky,

There's no way to remove all data from a feed at once. Feed deletion is an API action (https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs/#delete-data-point) and is therefore limited to your account's data rate (30 or 60 data points per minute for IO Free and IO Plus, respectively).

You may want to create a script which uses the delete data point api endpoint (https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs/#delete-data-point) to remove data.

I'll put a feature request in for the devs., it's something I'd like to see too.

- Brent R.

alanspearson

Post by alanspearson »

I'd love to have this feature too. I have a feed in which the sensor was not correctly connected for a while and it now has a bunch of invalid data. It is throwing off the charts now, and I'd like to just reset the feed to empty. I could delete the feed but I guess it would probably remove it from my dashboards.

stanrock

Post by stanrock »

Found a workaround for clearing all data from a feed. Go to your feeds and delete all of them related to your sketch. Wait for your update period and magically, your feeds will re-appear!

From what I have observed, there is no need to re-create your feeds, them seem to be in the system even after you delete them.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

stanrock wrote:Found a workaround for clearing all data from a feed. Go to your feeds and delete all of them related to your sketch. Wait for your update period and magically, your feeds will re-appear!

From what I have observed, there is no need to re-create your feeds, them seem to be in the system even after you delete them.
The Adafruit IO Arduino library can programmatically create feeds from your sketch, if they do not already exist on your IO account.

stanrock

Post by stanrock »

Thats a sweet feature! Gotta love Adafruit.

mattcarp

Post by mattcarp »

DItto - I would like this feature, too - to delete all the data in a feed. This should be very easy to implement?

mattcarp

Post by mattcarp »

I suppose this Python script will do it:

aio = Client(ADAFRUIT_IO_USERNAME, ADAFRUIT_IO_KEY)

feed_name = aio.feeds('feed')

data = aio.data('feed')

for d in data:
aio.delete(feed_name.key, d.id)
time.sleep(10) # avoid too many calls to adafruit

(I think a network firewall is preventing me from testing this, but I thought I'd post it to get either an upvote, or to help someone who needs this in the future)

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”