Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Weather Plans Post Dark Sky API era
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Weather Plans Post Dark Sky API era

by pghpete on Mon May 18, 2020 5:33 pm

While it is certainly the new buyers prerogative to do whatever they want with a new purchase (Apple purchasing Dark Sky) shutting out all users other than those with an Apple product is very disappointing.

The majority of its users were non-apple customers (70% according to most reports). Those customers paid for the service, donated, etc and to be honest, helped make that company and product what they are today... and to no longer have access to the application or to the API is upsetting.

I currently use the Dark Sky API for a few weather projects (automated garden, etc) and I liked that it was also integrated into Adafruit IO. Now since that is ending (end of 2021 they say) as any thought gone into what service may be used in its place?

Personally I plan on pulling all code using their API out of all my projects immediately despite their promise they'll keep access open until the end of 2021. I will be waiting on my refunds from them on the remainder of my account balances but honestly I am not holding my breath.

Anyone have any ideas about any other service with equivalent APIs, costs, etc? I have found "Today Weather" for Android which is pretty great and allows you to select the "source" of the weather data it presents. That covers me on the devices but not for API.

Any thoughts on the API issue would be greatly appreciated. The last thing I want to do is put my time and energy into another product/service (or group of people) that are more concerned with selling out than being good stewards of the community that supports it.

Is NOAA the best bet?

Stay Safe,
Pete

pghpete

Re: Weather Plans Post Dark Sky API era

by mikeysklar on Mon May 18, 2020 8:34 pm

mikeysklar

by pghpete on Mon May 18, 2020 8:39 pm

Thanks Mike! I will check these out as soon as possible. Thanks for the post!

pghpete

by shelwig on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:45 am

I know that this thread is a bit old, but I'm Sam from Visual Crossing, and we'd be glad to help you with your Weather API questions. If you have any questions or need any help with your weather related project, just let me know via message here (or you can email support@visualcrossing.com).

Also, I know that many of you are using your devices to make cool opensource projects. If you have a cool project that uses weather data, I'd like to point you toward our Weather Ambassador program. Beyond our normal free usage tier, the Ambassador program provides more free weather data access for your development effort. https://www.visualcrossing.com/resource ... s-program/

shelwig

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.