Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Unreliable response time with IFTTT
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Unreliable response time with IFTTT

by roontoon on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:50 pm

Hi just tried my first project with Adafruit.io. It is a simple PIR sensor that triggers a feed on Adafruit.io which works perfectly and immediately, but when I try to create an action on IFTTT that reads that feed and then triggers an action to turn on my MyQ light switch in my garage it fails to trigger. I have another applet on IFTTT that is entirely within the MyQ API on IFTTT that when the garage door opens turn on the light work flawlessly and immediately. The applet that I created with my sensor either entirely fails to trigger entirely or is delayed to the point that it is useless. I have read on Reddit that other people are having issues with the timeliness of triggers on IFTTT. Is there anything I can do on my end or is there another way I can approach this problem to make it work correctly. Thanks.

roontoon

Re: Unreliable response time with IFTTT

by Systembolaget on Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:42 pm

IFTTT seems to have issues.

When triggering a tweet, it can take 6 - 38 minutes before the tweet is posted - even though on IFTTT it says "This connection usually runs within a few seconds".

Systembolaget

by roontoon on Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:00 am

Then that kind of makes Adafruit.io somewhat useless to control other devices. Or is there another way?

roontoon

by Systembolaget on Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:39 am

Tweeting via IFTTT is not "control", but "messaging".

When you TX data to AIO, it is there immediately. If IFTTT or Zapier or others process the information slowly or rapidly is something one has to find out with each service triggered, whether Twitter, an SMS or anything else. Zapier, for example, can have a fast response in its commercial tiers, but you pay $300 per month for a 1 minute update cadence.

If you don't need IFTTT or Zapier or others, your TX or RX can be near instant, as there is no "middleman" involved, only your publishing/subscribing devices and AIO.

Systembolaget

by roontoon on Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:00 pm

You spoke of tweeting I did not. I am using a motion sensor as per an Adiafruit tutorial to turn on a MyQ light switch which is supported by Ifttt. I also have a MyQ Chamberland garage door and it and the light works within seconds of opening via Ifttt. So why doesn't Adiafruit.io and the switch work in the same time frame? Having a sensor that turns on a light 30 minutes to hours later is worthless. If you have a solution I'm all ears.

roontoon

by Systembolaget on Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:08 pm

It all depends on the underlying transport and if there are in-between services, hence the cautionary IFTTT/Twitter tale. IFTTT can be fast and slow in the free tier. If you want quick action, you need to subscribe to a commercial package, or count on your luck.

If you use MQTT to publish to an AIO feed, the data arrives instantly. When another device subscribes to that same AIO feed, it can collect what the other device published instantly. There is no IFTTT middle-man.

When I publish a pushbutton or door limit switch event to AIO via MQTT, I get an instant single shot event trigger, a 0 or a 1, which is what I need.

Systembolaget

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.