Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Getting started with WiFi and Adafruit IO
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Getting started with WiFi and Adafruit IO

by Steve_3000 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:57 pm

I would like to try making a project using WiFi and Adafruit IO. I am a beginner, having completed only one other CircuitPython project, using a Feather M4 Express, DS3231 RTC Feather Wing, and a 315MHz Receiver/Transmitter to create a simple plant light sunrise/sunset timer with manual overrides.

The project I have in mind is monitoring the on and off times of an appliance like the television or air conditioner. I may get more elaborate later, but I will be happy to start with that.

Looking at the Adafruit website, I notice one possibility might be a Feather M4 Express plus an AirLife FeatherWing (4264). Another possibility is a PyPortal, which I see uses the same processor as the M4. Would one of these be easier to get started with? Could I get the PyPortal and ignore the built in screen just to get the PyPortal working with WiFi and Adafruit IO and do something (or not) with the screen later?

Do you have another suggestion?

Thank you.

Steve_3000

Re: Getting started with WiFi and Adafruit IO

by brubell on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:00 am

I notice one possibility might be a Feather M4 Express plus an AirLife FeatherWing (4264).

Yep, this would work fine for your project.

Another possibility is a PyPortal, which I see uses the same processor as the M4. Would one of these be easier to get started with? Could I get the PyPortal and ignore the built in screen just to get the PyPortal working with WiFi and Adafruit IO and do something (or not) with the screen later?

I often use my PyPortal for quickly testing projects and don't use the LCD. You're able to dim the screen brightness in the CircuitPython PyPortal library.

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.