Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

ESP32/ESP8266 in university network
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

ESP32/ESP8266 in university network

by mandina_choilab on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:10 am

Hi,

I had 2 temp/humidity sensors that sent data to adafruit using MQTT at home. You can check the repository here https://github.com/matiasandina/temp_sensor

I thought it was as simple as connect to the new internet in the campus and all set. But NO. It seems my university has a list of "allowed ports" (1883 not being one of them). Is there a way I configure the MQTT port so that I can connect to Adafruit using the "allowed ports" in my university?

What are other alternatives?

mandina_choilab

Re: ESP32/ESP8266 in university network

by brubell on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:58 am

You may want to ask this question on the MicroPython forums: https://forum.micropython.org/

brubell

by mandina_choilab on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:19 am

Hi,
I am not sure the problem is on the micropython side, since I had it working with MQTT and Adafruit IO at home. The problem that I have is that my University is blocking the ports Adafruit is expecting, so I figured there might be a way to configure things in Adafruit (and later change the port in the python script from 1833 to whatever).

If I have no luck here, I will try in micropython forum.

mandina_choilab

by brubell on Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:17 am

mandina_choilab wrote:Hi,
I am not sure the problem is on the micropython side, since I had it working with MQTT and Adafruit IO at home. The problem that I have is that my University is blocking the ports Adafruit is expecting, so I figured there might be a way to configure things in Adafruit (and later change the port in the python script from 1833 to whatever).

If I have no luck here, I will try in micropython forum.

You can't change the port Adafruit IO's MQTT broker uses, it's either 1883 (insecure) or 8883 (secure) and set on the server-side.

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.