Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Adafruit IO SSL/TLS Certificate Updated - Can I remotely upd
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adafruit IO SSL/TLS Certificate Updated - Can I remotely upd

by JohnReid on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:49 pm

In viewtopic.php?f=56&t=167114#p818703 you advise the Certificate has been updated.
I am using a Huzzah ESP 8266 in a remote location, both away from most things, but also remote from me. We are currently in 'lockdown' in Victoria, Australia, and I cannot reach the device for at least 6 weeks. I am using MQTT to send to an Adafruit dashboard. The device connects to a cellular-connected WiFi. There is no-one competent to update near the device.
I expect that I will need to go to the device to update the Certificate. Is there a way around this? i.e. can I remotely update?
Alternatively, is there a longer term solution once I can reach the device, either by way of updating the code to allow remote Certificate renewal, or changing to a different device that would allow such? Are there security concerns around doing such a thing?

JohnReid

Re: Adafruit IO SSL/TLS Certificate Updated - Can I remotely

by brubell on Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:24 am

I expect that I will need to go to the device to update the Certificate. Is there a way around this? i.e. can I remotely update?

Unfortunately not. The OTA (over-the-air) libraries which currently exist for arduino only update the sketch version.

or changing to a different device that would allow such?

The adafruit ESP32 AirLift breakouts include the root SSL certificates burned into the firmware

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.