Dashboard Line Plot Fill? Other line colors?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Dashboard Line Plot Fill? Other line colors?

by havocware on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:36 am

All of the dashboard charting examples show a filled line plot (also known as a mountain or area chart), but I don't see that anywhere as an option. Am I missing something or has this since been deprecated from when the examples were generated?

Also, there's no ability to assign the color to a line when creating a plot? I have several multi-line plots, and a red line typically conveys a negative trend but I have no other option?

havocware

Re: Dashboard Line Plot Fill? Other line colors?

by brubell on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:44 am

All of the dashboard charting examples show a filled line plot (also known as a mountain or area chart), but I don't see that anywhere as an option. Am I missing something or has this since been deprecated from when the examples were generated?

The line plot is the Line Chart Block, it has not been depreciated and should be available from a Dashboard. Could you attach a screenshot of the examples you're looking at?

Also, there's no ability to assign the color to a line when creating a plot? I have several multi-line plots, and a red line typically conveys a negative trend but I have no other option?

No, there is no way ability to assign a color to a line. Colors are assigned randomly as lines are added to the plot.

brubell

by havocware on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:18 am

Yes, the line chart is still an option, and I'm currently using it. My question is how did the line charts in the examples become mountain/area charts with their respective data plot filled in with color?

e.g the first image from the IO Feed Basics Overview (and all other chart examples from the guides):

havocware

by jwcooper on Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:38 am

That is an older image of a previous charting library we used to use. We'll try to get that image updated to our current chart.

We had to remove that older charting library due to performance issues (particularly on dashboards having multiple line charts).

We've had a few requests for changing the colors of the lines in charts, and have it on our roadmap to look into the ability to assign colors to feeds.

jwcooper

by havocware on Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:17 pm

jwcooper wrote:That is an older image of a previous charting library we used to use. We'll try to get that image updated to our current chart.

Thanks. In that case, you might want to replace all of your chart images - even the Line Chart Block selection shows a filled chart:

havocware

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.