Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

IoT Light and Proximity Project
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

IoT Light and Proximity Project

by skd66 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:55 am

I am a new programmer and I would like to make a project in which when one sensor approaches another sensor that has an LED light, the light will turn on. If possible, I would like to make it so that if one sensor approaches the sensor with the light, then it lights up one color, and if a different one approaches, it lights up a different color. Is it possible to do this through IoT, and what sensors would you suggest to use? Would I be able to build this project in Adafruit IO?

skd66

Re: IoT Light and Proximity Project

by brubell on Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:28 am

Is it possible to do this through IoT, and what sensors would you suggest to use? Would I be able to build this project in Adafruit IO?

You would be able to connect this project to Adafruit IO, though I'm not sure it's the best application for this project. This project seems like it's possible using whatever programming language you're comfortable with.

Do you have a specific purpose for why you'd want to control it/read data from it over the internet?

brubell

by skd66 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:51 pm

brubell wrote: Do you have a specific purpose for why you'd want to control it/read data from it over the internet?

The plan is to make a kit to teach kids about planets and extremophiles. Aliens with extremophile traits are given, and the goal is when each alien is brought near a planet, the alien will either light up green or red to indicate if the alien likes the planet. So the sensor in the planet must be able to differentiate between each alien sensor. The reason to control it from the Internet would be to make it more mobile, able to be controlled from anywhere. I also think that it would make it easier to expand the project later on too, like it we wanted to maybe put the aliens on an app.

My main problem is to make it so that the sensor would be able to differentiate between the different aliens that approach it. Would a Bluetooth beacon maybe work? And how would I be able to connect the alien sensor to the beacon?

skd66

by brubell on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:37 am

BTLE might be a good solution, we have a few guides about using advertising beacons

https://learn.adafruit.com/bluetooth-re ... ty-tracker
https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpytho ... ng-beacons

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.