🎁📬❄️📦 Holiday Shipping Deadlines are approaching! International customers and domestic ground - get your orders in 12/9/2020 📦❄️📬🎁

Deleting multiple data points
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Deleting multiple data points

by potokslow on Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:06 am

Hello,

I'd like to delete multiple data points from a feed (few hundred items).

According to https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-io- ... -feed-data - tick boxes should be available allowing to select and delete multiple points at a time, however it's not the case for my account.
Is there some special condition to enable this functionality?

Thank you

potokslow

Re: Deleting multiple data points

by brubell on Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:37 am

The screenshots on that page are from a previous version of Adafruit IO.

I'd like to delete multiple data points from a feed (few hundred items).

There's no way to remove all data from a feed at the same time. Feed deletion is an API action (https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs/#delete-data-point) and is therefore limited to your account's data rate (30 or 60 data points per minute for IO Free and IO Plus, respectively).

You may want to create a script which uses the delete data point api endpoint (https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs/#delete-data-point) to remove data.

brubell

by vamo on Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:13 am

I have the same problem.
I have realized an acquisition system and the data are transmitted on adafruit io feeds.
In the dashboard I would like to display only the last 24 hours of data.
This is possible in the "line chart" modules, but instead in the "map" module the setting of the represented period ("Hours of History - 0 for realtime") is completely ignored, and all data in the feed are represented.
To clean the representation in the "map" module it is not even possible to delete the entire feed, otherwise the "map" module using that feed is automatically deleted from the dashboard after the deletion of the feed.
Currently, in order to delete the past data, I have to edit the dashboard to temporarily associate the "map" module to a different feed, then delete the feed to clean, then recreate it, then re-associate the "map" module to the original recreated feed (now empty).
Very very cumbersome...
Is it possible to delete directly and in a single operation a range of data from a feed? Via web or API?
many many thanks...

vamo

by brubell on Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:09 pm

To clean the representation in the "map" module it is not even possible to delete the entire feed, otherwise the "map" module using that feed is automatically deleted from the dashboard after the deletion of the feed.

I've escalated this to our web team and they'll be taking a look at it on the other thread you posted.

Is it possible to delete directly and in a single operation a range of data from a feed? Via web or API?

No, not currently.

brubell

by vamo on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:38 am

Hi Brent.
Thanks for the reply.
Maybe the best solution could be to finally solve the problem that the setting of the represented period ("Hours of History - 0 for realtime") is ignored in the "map" module, and all data in the feed are represented. This could solve in a better way.
Do you know if the web team is working on it..?
Many thanks again,
Valerio

vamo

by brubell on Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:07 am

Maybe the best solution could be to finally solve the problem that the setting of the represented period ("Hours of History - 0 for realtime") is ignored in the "map" module, and all data in the feed are represented. This could solve in a better way.

I'm not sure what you mean by this - could you explain more?

brubell

by vamo on Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:53 pm

Brent,

I can confirm, in my dashboard I have a map module; the setting of the represented period ("Hours of History - 0 for realtime") is ignored, and all data in the feed are represented.
See also the forum

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=162021

where it was reported by other people.
This is why I was trying to find a fast way to clear the data, or else i'm forced to see a map having days and days of data, with several routes overlapping...

Is the web group informed of this...?
Correctly implementing the "Hours of History - 0 for realtime" could be a good feature to work on.

Thanks again,

Valerio

vamo

by chrispynz4 on Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:19 am

This has also been problematic for me for a long time.

If the hours of history is zero then the map should only display the current position and no trail at all. Preferably the current position could be shown as an icon, because if it's just a tiny blue dot it will be nearly invisible.

The hours of history configuration setting doesn't seem to work at all. A setting of 1 hour of history would be better than nothing and should only show the last hour, instead of the days and days of tracks which it currently shows. There's too much activity for days and days worth of activity to be meaningful on a map. I don't care where it's been, I care where it is .
Attachments
WhereIsTheDeviceRightNow.PNG
It's impossible to tell where the device is right now, because there is multiple days of tracks in there.
WhereIsTheDeviceRightNow.PNG (206.98 KiB) Viewed 133 times
HoursOfHistorySettingIsCompletelyIgnored.PNG
It doesn't matter if the value is 0 or 1 or any other number, there is no difference to the map.
HoursOfHistorySettingIsCompletelyIgnored.PNG (31.28 KiB) Viewed 133 times

chrispynz4

by vamo on Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:56 am

I cannot think that adafruit is not aware of this problem. As soon as anyone starts using the "map" module, he certainly realizes that it is impossible to set which period is displayed. So I think that certainly the adafruit web team is working on this.
The ideal would be to be able to control the displayed period directly from a drop down menu on the module itself, similar to the one in the "line chart" when in edit mode, see figure

Line_chart_module_in_edit_mode.png
Line_chart_module_in_edit_mode.png (27.39 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Brent, please, give us good news...!

Kind regards,

VALERIO

vamo

by brubell on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:26 am

Vamo and chrispynz4,

I've been able to replicate this issue on my end and have escalated it to the web team. I'll post here again when I have an update.

- Brent R.

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.