DOES ADAFRUIT ALLOW SENSOR CONTROL?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
ddalmia3

DOES ADAFRUIT ALLOW SENSOR CONTROL?

Post by ddalmia3 »

I'm wondering if I connect my microcontroller that has a sensor to gather temperature to Adafruit.io, and leave it out in the open (lets say my backyard), will I be able to turn the sensor on and off on my dashboard? Does Adafruit.IO allow sensor interfacing and control? And if so, where can I read the documentation to make sure each sensor is compatible with Adafruit.IO and it is connected?

adafruit_support_carter

Re: DOES ADAFRUIT ALLOW SENSOR CONTROL?

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Sensors aren't necessarily compatible / not-compatible with Adafruit IO. The basic steps are:
  • Read value from sensor
  • Send value to Adafruit IO
So anything you can read a value from you can send to AIO.

In terms of turning on/off, you'd do that with something like digital out:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-io- ... tal-output

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: DOES ADAFRUIT ALLOW SENSOR CONTROL?

Post by brubell »

What carter said is correct. Adding to it,
I'm wondering if I connect my microcontroller that has a sensor to gather temperature to Adafruit.io, and leave it out in the open (lets say my backyard), will I be able to turn the sensor on and off on my dashboard?
Yep - if your microcontroller is connected to adafruit io (you can view all your connections on io.adafruit.com/monitor), you'll be able to control the sensor from your dashboard.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”