Weird time stamp issue when sending data to adafruit server

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Spariot_MC

Weird time stamp issue when sending data to adafruit server

Post by Spariot_MC »

Hi

I found something illogical when testing my application. I send data to adafruit server every 5 seconds. It is normal to find some readings come in equally spaced time stamps. So times I find the reading come after 4, 6, or 7 or sometimes 8 sec, this is ok, as I thinks this is function in my internet speed. I found an issue that looked weird to me, which is that, some times the time get totally out of order, so I find for example readings with same time stamps, some times with period of 1 second only, sometimes with period of 15 sec, so this makes things not nice for me. Is this normal?

My second question, is about another relevant issue, it is that when I get several readings with same time stamp, sometimes sever puts them in wrong order! This means if I send 1,2,3 and in some situations it will display them for example 2,1,3 , which is totally unacceptable for application that depend on data order and plotting them with time.

I am using nodemcu development board.

please look at attached photo
error.png
error.png (119.68 KiB) Viewed 234 times

cjdshaw

Re: Weird time stamp issue when sending data to adafruit ser

Post by cjdshaw »

Spariot_MC wrote:Hi

I found something illogical when testing my application. I send data to adafruit server every 5 seconds. It is normal to find some readings come in equally spaced time stamps. So times I find the reading come after 4, 6, or 7 or sometimes 8 sec, this is ok, as I thinks this is function in my internet speed. I found an issue that looked weird to me, which is that, some times the time get totally out of order, so I find for example readings with same time stamps, some times with period of 1 second only, sometimes with period of 15 sec, so this makes things not nice for me. Is this normal?

My second question, is about another relevant issue, it is that when I get several readings with same time stamp, sometimes sever puts them in wrong order! This means if I send 1,2,3 and in some situations it will display them for example 2,1,3 , which is totally unacceptable for application that depend on data order and plotting them with time.

I am using nodemcu development board.

please look at attached photo
error.png
If your device has a real-time clock, you can use the created_at field to make sure the data is logged at the time it was measured, not the time Adafruit receives it

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”