🎁📬❄️📦 Holiday Shipping Deadlines are approaching! International customers and domestic ground - get your orders in 12/9/2020 📦❄️📬🎁

RFID->IOT
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

RFID->IOT

by flounder on Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:43 am

The basic problem is this: monitoring when an elderly patient takes his meds. The meds are pre-set-out into a container, one container per day. The problem is to know when the meds have been taken. Furthermore, the dosages are different for certain days, so it is important to know that the right meds are taken on the right days.

The person who sets the meds into the bottles asked me if there is a way to track this. The ideal way would be to have an RFID tag (e.g., #2800) on (the outside of) each bottle. The assumption is that each RFID tag has a unique ID. So the person setting out the meds would wave the bottle at her sensor (e.g., an iPhone) and touch a day-of-the-week on the GUI. Great. Each bottle is now identified.

The meds-taker will have an app on his iPhone. As he takes a bottle, in The Best Of All Possible Worlds he holds the bottle up to his iPhone, which registers the meds bottle has been taken.

The Good News is that I also have an iPhone, so developing the IOT app will ideally involve only some drag-and-drop work, but I don't know how to connect RFID to Adafruit.IO. Some hints would help.

An alternative design is to build three (at least) RFID readers which use CircuitPython to connect to Adafruit.IO: one for the caregiver to register the bottles, and one upstairs and one downstairs for the carereceiver to use to register the taking of the meds (I've been told that there are two locations needed if we can't use the iPhone).

If there is no registration within 8 hours, the caregiver needs to get an alert that the meds are late, so she can go check to see if the meds have been taken (but not passed over the RFID reader) or not taken at all (which is serious). I should not have a problem with this, since what I need to do is upload the time and the meds container ID, and maintain that database for about two weeks.

So I'm open to suggestions as to the best approach.

And I had to keep changing the word p-i-l-l-s to "meds" because the first word is a "banned spam word". Huh? I'm talking about making sure a patient takes the correct meds at the expected time, and I don't see why I can't use normal words to refer to the objects in question. I had tried the word m-e-d-i-c-a-t-i-o-n-s but that word is banned also.

flounder

Re: RFID->IOT

by brubell on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:10 am

neat! I feel the app route is easiest and least expensive in the long-term if you're comfortable with building one.

I don't know how to connect RFID to Adafruit.IO

When the app reads a tag, it should send data to the Adafruit IO HTTP API (https://io.adafruit.com/api/docs/#adafruit-io-http-api).

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.