IO UI Updated - feedback and issues
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: IO UI Updated - feedback and issues

by jwcooper on Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:59 pm

cjdshaw wrote:There's some line wrapping issues with gauges, as seen in attached image

I'm not a big fan of the magenta line in charts. The others are all quite muted/pastel and the magenta one stands out rather

Which magenta do you find stands out too much? Is that in dark mode or light mode for the dashboards?

jwcooper

by jwcooper on Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:12 pm

cjdshaw wrote:- On my desktop, the little trolley icon in the top right shows 0 items. On my mobile, it shows 7, despite it actually being empty. I can reproduce this on the desktop just by making the window narrower until it switches to the mobile layout

This will be fixed today yet. Thanks!

jwcooper

by cjdshaw on Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:42 pm

jwcooper wrote:
cjdshaw wrote:There's some line wrapping issues with gauges, as seen in attached image

I'm not a big fan of the magenta line in charts. The others are all quite muted/pastel and the magenta one stands out rather

Which magenta do you find stands out too much? Is that in dark mode or light mode for the dashboards?

The 5th curve in dark mode. Sorry, I should have been more specific

cjdshaw

by jwcooper on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:41 pm

cjdshaw wrote:
jwcooper wrote:

The 5th curve in dark mode. Sorry, I should have been more specific

Thanks, this will get a slight change in the next deploy, most likely tomorrow.

jwcooper

by jwcooper on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:46 pm

In our next deploy, gauges will be getting an update. Thank you to everyone with your feedback on gauges.

They should layout properly in more instances. We offer a lot of customization, and some of this is up to the user to customize so it looks right (really small gauge with thickest width isn't going to work, etc). Hopefully we can make it look good in most cases.

Screenshot_2020-11-12 Adafruit IO.png
Screenshot_2020-11-12 Adafruit IO.png (43.5 KiB) Viewed 38 times

jwcooper

by jwcooper on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:49 pm

rlucero wrote:Changing the time scale for a graph forces the user to move it before the change can be finalized. This will disrupt layouts by forcing other elements to scatter when the graph moves.

Thank you, this should be easy enough to track down.

jwcooper

by HarpDude on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:57 pm

The AIO UI changes are excellent! The overall viewability is improved. Access to much-used menus and selections are more logical and pretty easy to learn and use. Nicely done.

Of course there are a couple of requests that come to mind:

1) Many of my projects use a kanban-style indicator to show tri-state and quad-state values, a stoplight red/yellow/green being the most common. Would it be possible to design a single dot or stack indicator with three or more color-specific thresholds?

2) A dark mode for the feed display page would round out the suite nicely. It requires a little adjustment for these eyes to switch from the cool dashboard dark mode to the brighter screen.

Excellent work! Appreciate the continuous improvement effort behind AIO.

HarpDude

by jwcooper on Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:10 pm

HarpDude wrote:The AIO UI changes are excellent! The overall viewability is improved. Access to much-used menus and selections are more logical and pretty easy to learn and use. Nicely done.

Of course there are a couple of requests that come to mind:

1) Many of my projects use a kanban-style indicator to show tri-state and quad-state values, a stoplight red/yellow/green being the most common. Would it be possible to design a single dot or stack indicator with three or more color-specific thresholds?

2) A dark mode for the feed display page would round out the suite nicely. It requires a little adjustment for these eyes to switch from the cool dashboard dark mode to the brighter screen.

Excellent work! Appreciate the continuous improvement effort behind AIO.

Thank you! This is just the beginning and you'll noticed changes rolling out across all of the Adafruit sites as well. There is a lot of feedback, and we're adjusting and updating as quickly as we can to clean up issues and add more features that are requested.

I like the idea of a global dark mode. We'll add this to our list as well. This is a larger feature so it may take some more time to test and deploy.

Could you explain the block idea a bit further? Would it be a single feed that passes a state to change colors? (0, 1, 2 etc) Or multiple feeds controlling each bulb? We do have the state indicator, and the color indicator blocks, but not sure if those cover your use case or not.

jwcooper

by jwcooper on Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:12 pm

Latest changes deployed this afternoon:

fix cart count on mobile header
    update chart grid lines to support light and dark modes, softer colors on each
    clean up ordering of line chart colors for light mode
    update dark mode line chart magenta color to be more in-line with the others
    initial clean up of gauges based on feedback

jwcooper

by HarpDude on Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:24 pm

For starters, something that would allow the assignment of a color indicator for three or more values in the range of a single feed. For example, my corrosion monitor watches the temperature difference value of ambient and dew point. A useful indicator would show:

RED -- value between -infinity and +2C
ORANGE -- value between +2C and +5C
YELLOW -- value between +5C and +8C
GREEN -- value between +8C and +infinity

Bonus points for the ability to set the color to anything in a spectrum.
Extra bonus points for using two (or more) feeds to calculate the difference value for the indicator.

HarpDude

by cjdshaw on Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:44 pm

jwcooper wrote:Latest changes deployed this afternoon:

fix cart count on mobile header
    update chart grid lines to support light and dark modes, softer colors on each
    clean up ordering of line chart colors for light mode
    update dark mode line chart magenta color to be more in-line with the others
    initial clean up of gauges based on feedback

Great improvements, thanks! My only remaining request is the return of vertical compacting. Trying to rearrange blocks without huge spaces appearing between them is a nightmare

cjdshaw

by onebeartoe on Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:56 am

Hi. io.adafruit.com rules!

I generally like the updated UI, with the exception of how the timestamp doesn't show (it is now truncated with the ellipsis) anymore on my mobile device.

I mean it still shows if I put the device in landscape, but I used to be able to see the time in portrait before update.

Also is there a way to turn on 'dark mode'?

Thanks for provideing and maintaining a great platform!

onebeartoe

by BabyHen7 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:52 am

On raspberry pi, my program keeps crashing saying throttling error, but the data points sent are less than 50 per minute.

BabyHen7

by cjdshaw on Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:06 am

onebeartoe wrote:Also is there a way to turn on 'dark mode'?

Dark mode is an option under the setting menu - the gear icon in the top right

cjdshaw

by cjdshaw on Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:31 am

Kiosk mode on a mobile browser has some quite substantial borders which aren't there in non-kiosk mode. With screen real-estate at a premium, it would be good to get rid of these.
Taken on iPhone 11 Pro iOS 13 Safari
2020-11-13 12.17.16.png
2020-11-13 12.17.16.png (328.23 KiB) Viewed 27 times

With all these improvements, I feel bad not paying for IO, but I really can't justify $100 per year. I'd love a first tier plan more in line with iCloud / Google One / IFTTT Pro, all of which I subscribe to for $12-$30 per year. Perhaps $25 per year for 25 feeds?

cjdshaw

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.