Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

IO UI Updated - feedback and issues
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: IO UI Updated - feedback and issues

by smoula99 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:31 am

Hi
I think that it will be good if there was a option for change color of gauge, slider etc... (when I have two or more gauges with same color on one dashboard so it is not good for quick view).
I think that in feed it will be good have two more options. First remove all data (values) of feed without lost connection on dashboard and second option save a note for some data in feed (for example if in specific time something happen and I want know that there was this value).
Best regards

smoula99

by sircoolio on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:50 am

New UI changes are nice! I feel like the key grouping UI is an improvement.

Is there a way to move keys between groups with their data? The UI doesn't seem to have a way to do it, and I tried to insert a group name in front of an existing key (that is not in a group, aka default) via Feed Info dialog, but that doesn't work.

Thanks for all the hard work! Really appreciate Adafruit IO!

sircoolio

by jwcooper on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:12 pm

sircoolio wrote:New UI changes are nice! I feel like the key grouping UI is an improvement.

Is there a way to move keys between groups with their data? The UI doesn't seem to have a way to do it, and I tried to insert a group name in front of an existing key (that is not in a group, aka default) via Feed Info dialog, but that doesn't work.

Thanks for all the hard work! Really appreciate Adafruit IO!

Thank you for your kind comments!

Could you explain more about moving keys between groups? Do you mean moving feeds between groups?

This has always been a bit tricky and the UX for this hasn't been changed yet.

There is a way to drill down into the group and add/remove feeds to the groups. On the /username/feeds page, you can click on the header for each group section like 'My Feds' and then it will drill down into that group where you can add a feed or remove it from the group.

We have a few more fixes coming this morning for that page and a few others based on feedback.

jwcooper

by jwcooper on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:27 pm

masoud8152 wrote:I really see no reason for this update, the older version was much nicer, I really felt bad and miss the previous version. when something is nice what does update mean?
Does it mean to replace something which is nice with something which is not nice? I really don't get it, wasting time and energy.

This comment is quite negative, and not productive. I was borderline going to delete it, as it doesn't contribute to the discussion. Rather than stating that you dislike it, please explain what it is you don't like.

The biggest issues with our previous design were contrast and legibility. The font sizes were far too small, the previous colors chosen did not meet WCAG accessibility guidelines. The chosen colors are specifically chosen now for high contrast.

There are usability updates here that may not be appreciated until you use the application for a while. No longer do you need to drill down into dropdown menus to do actions in tables over and over again. For me personally, it was very difficult to go back to our old design after using the new design in testing environments for quite some time.

Also, we're not 'done with io' and we're working on adding more customization and features and fixes based on your feedback.

jwcooper

by sircoolio on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:29 pm

Yes, would love to move a feed from the default group to a new group. I can delete a feed from one group and add a new feed with the same name to another group, but then I lose all the data previously stored in that feed.

I started (like others?) just putting all feeds in default, but then learned the organizational power of groups :)

sircoolio

by jwcooper on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:44 pm

millercommamatt wrote:Can we be allowed to customize the colors? I don't like the new defaults.

I'm also not a big fan of the frames around the blocks.

I like the option of a toggle for the border around the blocks. We'll queue that change up.

As for the colors, we're working on adding more customization, but these default colors were chosen for higher contrast and being easier to read for everyone.

jwcooper

by jwcooper on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:47 pm

AditAgrawal1234 wrote:All good on laptop but make it better on phone ui

Thanks for the feedback. There are a few layout issues we're aware of on the phone and are working on cleaning those up yet.

jwcooper

by jwcooper on Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:35 pm

First round of fixes and features have gone out:

- added ability to toggle the borders around the blocks in a dashboard
- cleaned up various layout and content issues
- fixed issue with adding existing feeds to groups

More fixes and features incoming throughout the week.

jwcooper

by cjdshaw on Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:26 pm

jwcooper wrote:First round of fixes and features have gone out:

- added ability to toggle the borders around the blocks in a dashboard
- cleaned up various layout and content issues
- fixed issue with adding existing feeds to groups

More fixes and features incoming throughout the week.

Impressive responsiveness to users! Personally, I like the borders

Just realised my screenshot of vertical text centring on gauges didn't work in a previous post. Here it is
Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 23.10.11.png
Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 23.10.11.png (27.87 KiB) Viewed 22 times

cjdshaw

by cjdshaw on Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:32 pm

When clicking "Settings" on an public dashboard, the settings seem to appear behind the blocks so aren't adjustable
Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 19.20.11.jpg
Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 19.20.11.jpg (43.49 KiB) Viewed 22 times

cjdshaw

by jcarrera on Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:50 pm

I've only just started dabbling with the platform but I like the higher-contrast look. I did notice that an icon in a counter block interferes with the block label unless I make the block much larger. Is there a way to allow for the block label or icon position to be tweaked to avoid this?

screencap1-counterblock.PNG
screencap1-counterblock.PNG (4.04 KiB) Viewed 21 times

jcarrera

by simpletonite on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:31 pm

There seems to be display issues when you open the navigation menu on mobile (3 line hamburger icon top left), the menu options do not display. I believe it should be: Profile, Feeds, Dashboards, Triggers, Services, My Key. See attachments: https://photos.app.goo.gl/a8X6TXvPaPBRHx3t7

Otherwise the desktop experience is great so far, no issues

simpletonite

by jwcooper on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:38 pm

cjdshaw wrote:When clicking "Settings" on an public dashboard, the settings seem to appear behind the blocks so aren't adjustable
Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 19.20.11.jpg

I'm not able to reproduce this issue. What browser are you using?

jwcooper

by jwcooper on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:39 pm

travswim wrote:There seems to be display issues when you open the navigation menu on mobile (3 line hamburger icon top left), the menu options do not display. I believe it should be: Profile, Feeds, Dashboards, Triggers, Services, My Key. See attachments: https://photos.app.goo.gl/a8X6TXvPaPBRHx3t7

Otherwise the desktop experience is great so far, no issues

This is now fixed. Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

jwcooper

by jwcooper on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:40 pm

jcarrera wrote:I've only just started dabbling with the platform but I like the higher-contrast look. I did notice that an icon in a counter block interferes with the block label unless I make the block much larger. Is there a way to allow for the block label or icon position to be tweaked to avoid this?

screencap1-counterblock.PNG

Is that the Text block? I don't believe we have a counter block. Will look into this one too. Thanks!

jwcooper

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.