AIO account key for gift devices OR time check alternatives
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

AIO account key for gift devices OR time check alternatives

by majotito on Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:14 am

Hi--
I'm considering making a gift for someone of a MagTag with the tides program. This program uses " magtag.get_local_time() " to find the time but I'm not sure if it uses the AIO key or what to get the current time. My question is: if I need to include my AIO key in a gifted device, what can I do to avoid future hacking into my account? Is there a way to get a second "guest" AIO key, or will I need to get another account? Is there maybe a way to alter " magtag.get_local_time() " to not use AdafruitIO, and use an account-less time server?

majotito

Re: AIO account key for gift devices OR time check alternati

by brubell on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:25 am

to find the time but I'm not sure if it uses the AIO key or what to get the current time.

Yes, the get_local_time function in magtag/pyportal/matrixportal libraries use the Adafruit IO Time Service. We require an Adafruit IO key to prevent spammers on this service.

My question is: if I need to include my AIO key in a gifted device, what can I do to avoid future hacking into my account? Is there a way to get a second "guest" AIO key, or will I need to get another account?

You could include your key, and if that device is ever compromised, Adafruit IO allows you to re-generate a your active key.

Another solution is creating another AIO account for this project, that's independent of your account.

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.