ESP32 won't connect to AIO after Big Sur update

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
thebakedbaker

ESP32 won't connect to AIO after Big Sur update

Post by thebakedbaker »

I had a project using an ESP32 to transmit temp and humidity data from a sensor and Open Weather Map to Adafruit IO. The project was working for several weeks (I've got lots of data points in my Dashboard still). After updating my Mac to Big Sur, the first code update I compiled no longer connects to Adafruit IO.

To troubleshoot this, I have uninstalled Arduino and all related directories and re-installed all boards and libraries. Using examples such as the Sparkfun ESP32 Examples > Time > Simple time (which just uses WiFi.h), everything works fine (and my project is now using this as a workaround). When using Adafruit IO examples such as "adafruitio_00_publish" with the default config.h (with my credentials updated appropriately), I get the endless "." (or when using statusText() I get "Connecting to Adafruit IO," "Network disconnected," then endless "Disconnected from Adafruit IO") in the Serial Monitor.

I've been able to confirm that the code does seem to connect to the internet, as the device appears in the connected devices on my router and I can successfully ping the ESP32. The issue appears to be related to actually connecting to Adafruit IO. I have regenerated my IO Key and updated my config.h, but have been unable to get any code to successfully connect to Adafruit IO and am at a loss on what to troubleshoot next.

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: ESP32 won't connect to AIO after Big Sur update

Post by brubell »

There's a solution listed over at https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/issues/4408, but I do not have Big Sur (still on Catalina) so I've been unable to test it.

thebakedbaker

Post by thebakedbaker »

I posted that solution in viewtopic.php?f=56&t=175113, as I had already followed some of the steps to get my code to compile.

Unfortunately, my issue isn't that my code won't compile, it's that it installs on the EDP32 just fine, it just won't connect to Adafruit IO. As I noted previously, the code does cause the device to connect to WiFi, as I can see the device connected when I sign into my router, and I can successfully "Ping" the device using the Fing app on my iOS device.

It seems like the issue is with authenticating or connecting to Adafruit IO specifically.

RWDyeJr

Post by RWDyeJr »

I have the exact same authenticating/connecting issue. Any solutions?

RWDyeJr

Post by RWDyeJr »

I ended up reverting to ESP32 board manager version 1.0.5-rc4 and then patching platform.txt to get around the compiler failure for path names with spaces. Note that version 1.0.5-rc4 already has the esptool issues corrected. Now all of my Adafruit MQTT and Adafruit IO sketches compile and run just fine with my 2018 MacBook Pro (macOS Big Sur 11.2.3). Hope that a future stable release will correct all these issues the right way, but this works for me for now.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”