Adafruit.io MQTT not authorized to connect

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
rsmith9945

Adafruit.io MQTT not authorized to connect

Post by rsmith9945 »

Hello,

I ran into a very weird issue where I was not authorized to connect to MQTT. I was able to narrow down the issue to my username, for some reason it did not work with my old username, but after changing it, it works flawlessly. Is there a limit on the username length for connecting to the MQTT server?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adafruit.io MQTT not authorized to connect

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

[moved to the Adafruit.io forum]

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

Did your old username have any special characters (non-alphanumeric)? If it was one of our legacy usernames (pre-2012), it could have had issues with mqtt as the rules weren't as strict on usernames back then.

Any username that conforms to the current limits at Adafruit should work OK now.

rsmith9945

Post by rsmith9945 »

jwcooper wrote:Did your old username have any special characters (non-alphanumeric)? If it was one of our legacy usernames (pre-2012), it could have had issues with mqtt as the rules weren't as strict on usernames back then.

Any username that conforms to the current limits at Adafruit should work OK now.
Hello jwcooper,

Yeah, that's the weird thing, my username was rserranosmith, which does not have any special characters. What is interesting is that after successfully testing it with my current username, rsmith9945, I changed it back to rserranosmith and tried to connect to the MQTT server again, and it still did not work, and so I've been using this current username. Very strange!

oliviasmithh900

Post by oliviasmithh900 »

rsmith9945 wrote:
jwcooper wrote: Yeah, that's the weird thing, my username was rserranosmith, which does not have any special characters. What is interesting is that after successfully testing it with my current username, rsmith9945, I changed it back to rserranosmith and tried to connect to the MQTT server again, and it still did not work, and so I've been using this current username. Very strange!
May be there's time restriction on account, though its weird.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”