Recommendation for TX to RX then TX to Wifi to Adafruit IO
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Recommendation for TX to RX then TX to Wifi to Adafruit IO

by Systembolaget on Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:27 pm

Hej,

I need a part purchase recommendation.

I want to have a Device 1 with two sensors in one place of a town meeting hall and want to TX wirelessly to a Device 2 which is around 10 - 15 metres away. The Device 2 shall RX the sensor data from Device 1, and then TX the sensor data onwards via WiFi to Adafruit IO every 30 seconds. I have the SSID and PWD of the town meeting hall router and Adafruit IO account.

The Device 2 needs to be put together with two different modes of transport so it becomes some sort of "bridge", right? The flow of data is Device 1 (?) > Device 2 (?) & WiFi > Router WiFi > Internet. >. Adafruit IO.

So, RFM packet radio & WiFi or BLE & WiFi? Or something else & WiFi? Could there be library incompatibility problems on Device 2? Would I need to alternate TX and RX on Device 2 because one of the two radios must be off so the other one can work ok?

Which components do you recommend I should purchase?

Suggestions much appreciated!

Systembolaget

Re: Recommendation for TX to RX then TX to Wifi to Adafruit

by Systembolaget on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:16 am

Bump.

Systembolaget

by Rcayot on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:26 am

I am not an expert, but perhaps I can help.

I am using ble to transfer sensor data to a Rasbberry Pi Zero W. and the RPI Zero then sends the data to AIO.

Now, the only reason I have two devices, is that I plan on putting the sensor and BLE capable microcontroller outside and I want it battery powered. The RPI consumes too much power for that.

BUT I started my project with the sensor connected to the RPI inside with plenty of power available. For your application, why split the sensor microcontroller from the wifi?

Good luck.

Roger

Rcayot

by Systembolaget on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:16 am

Thanks, I have to remain in the Arduino universe.

The sensors, Device 1, must be mounted in a hard to access location, and Device 2 sits at people's heigt to display sensor values but also forward to Adafruit IO for remote monitoring. If I had an all-in-one Device, I could of course just use WiFi.

Systembolaget

by brubell on Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:50 am

So, RFM packet radio & WiFi or BLE & WiFi? Or something else & WiFi? Could there be library incompatibility problems on Device 2? Would I need to alternate TX and RX on Device 2 because one of the two radios must be off so the other one can work ok?

JP's broadcastnet project seems similar - it's a wifi bridge.

https://learn.adafruit.com/bluetooth-le ... net-on-aio

brubell

by Systembolaget on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:43 pm

Thanks, yeah, only we must remain in the C++/Arduino IDE realm... I was hoping there's a way to make a BLE to WiFi or packet radio to WiFi bridge in that environment.

Systembolaget

by brubell on Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:55 am

There's not a way I can think of, off the top of my head. Likely there's someone on the internet who figured out how to do this using the ESP32 due to the size of their development community.. Let me know if you figure something out or find a solution.

brubell

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.