MQTT ERROR, Connection refused

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
jimk123

MQTT ERROR, Connection refused

Post by jimk123 »

I have 5 ESP32 boards using adafruit IO, most publish values to feeds and one subscribes and publishes. When I got up this morning on the dasdboard I see this message in red that updates every few seconds:

MQTT ERROR, disconnected at 2021/04/02 6:54:34AM.Connection refused, retrying in 3 minutes 0 seconds. Visit the MQTT troubleshooting guide for information about MQTT errors.

I clicked on the link for the troubleshooting guide but did not find anything that would help see which device is having the problem. I went to the monitor page under profile but do not see anymore details there. How can I find which device is causing the problem ?
thanks

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: MQTT ERROR, Connection refused

Post by brubell »

I clicked on the link for the troubleshooting guide but did not find anything that would help see which device is having the problem. I went to the monitor page under profile but do not see anymore details there. How can I find which device is causing the problem ?
You could leave the monitor page open overnight or open a USB-serial monitor on the boards to see if it's stalling connecting to Adafruit IO, or disconnected.

tix5000

Post by tix5000 »

Having the same issue, ESP8266 boards, mostly publishing values. The setup has been working for months now, then yesterday, everything stopped working and getting the same MQTT Error as OP.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

tix5000 wrote:Having the same issue, ESP8266 boards, mostly publishing values. The setup has been working for months now, then yesterday, everything stopped working and getting the same MQTT Error as OP.
Have you tried resetting the boards since? Are you getting the same error?

tix5000

Post by tix5000 »

Yes, restarted all the boards. The error is seen when I log into my adafruit.io account.

The commands are issued from IFTTT into AdafruitIO. I see that the commands get added onto my feed, but it would appear none of the boards are able to read that information anymore.

tix5000

Post by tix5000 »

Whatever was changed in the past 24 hours, everything started to work again.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”