Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

Connecing Adafruit SCD30 to Adafruit IO
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Connecing Adafruit SCD30 to Adafruit IO

by stufftodoo on Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:15 pm

To begin, I am a novice programmer. However, I have manage to connect Adafruit SCD30, PM25 Air Filter and SGP30 sensors to my Raspberry Pi 4. I would now like to use Adafruit IO to stream and save this data. I have established and Adafruit IO account and done the Feed and Dashboard setup. Try as I may I just can't seem top figure how to get my data to the network from my Pi 4. I am overwhelmed with information at this point and just don't know what I not doing or perhaps how to do what is next. Looking for help?

stufftodoo

Re: Connecing Adafruit SCD30 to Adafruit IO

by brubell on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:02 am

Start with the SCD30.
Wire it up: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-scd ... -3081030-6
Test that you can get data from it printed to your terminal: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-scd ... 3081036-14

Then, modify this example:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_IO ... ass.py#L84

You'd want to include the lines from the SCD30 example to initialize the sensor:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
import board
import adafruit_scd30

scd = adafruit_scd30.SCD30(board.I2C())

In the client.publish(key, value) call, change the value to the value read by the SCD30 like so:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
# read the Co2 value
co2_val = str(scd.CO2)
# publish to IO
client.publish("co2feed", co2_val)

Then, add more code and feeds for initializing your other sensors.

brubell

by stufftodoo on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:04 pm

Thank you. I solved the basic feed problem last night by using some basic code from a Lady Ada Youtube example. Now I will use your examples to try to get temp, humidity and CO2 data from the SCD30.

stufftodoo

by stufftodoo on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:07 pm

Just want to say, you guys are EXTREMELY helpful. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

stufftodoo

by brubell on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:12 pm

Thanks! We are here to help :)

brubell

by marekszlakowski2020 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:30 am

hi guys, I am brand new here, just wanted to say HI, and I love computers and electronics... I had a bad year... I have terminal cancer I got cancer from the drug ZANTAC for heartburn... in 2018/9 they found it had NDMA a cancer causing chemical, one 75mg pill had 3000x the dose. I was prescribed for 30+ years, 300mg tablets, to take 2 - 6 per day, they never worked with in lowering the issue, just prescribed more and more. 6 x 300 (4 x 3000x) = 36,000 times the dose of that chemical daily- this is KAISER PERMANENTE DOCTORS / Insurance I got via my wife through the COUNTY of San Diego. In 1999, they made me handicapped by accidentally cutting open my aortic artery. In that accident they left a metal coil in my bloodstream, it swam to my arm and hurt like fire for 9 years until tissue grew around and it pushed itself away from my never. I have a 12 cm stent where the gash was in my artery, and I was awake for the operation. I saw the doctors FIGHT between each other... meanwhile I have 2 kids in 1st year in College and its November 1999. They "made this mistake" and I still couldn't sue. That was the worst. 20 years nothing to show for it. Wife had to work 7 days a week so we can get by... I'll stop but this is 100% my life. If anyone want to see/hear more, let me know. I have all MEDICAL PDFS available, so please guys, I'm real and I would love to have a meeting with you guys if you have the tiny-est of side-eye.

WORK/HELP NEEDED:

ANYWAY, I wanted to make a Co2 detector so I can run it on a PI-TOP w/ a Pi3-model B I just was gifted... OR run the sensor completely independent, like using the OLED tiny screen... I would like it to sit in my SONS greenhouse, right in the middle and maybe in the future, send emails to him on levels every hour... that would be awesome... and if I can PLOT the CO2, it would be extra SUPER awesome. This is the best sensor by watching the videos:

Adafruit SCD-30 - NDIR CO2 Temperature and Humidity Sensor - STEMMA QT / Qwiic
PRODUCT ID: 4867

parts:
-tiny OLED screen, I need to know all the parts, I know I need 1) sensor 59 bucks. 2) the connector (1 of 3 sizes) 3) probably better using the tiny OLED vs a PI-TOP, or let me know whats better. I guess I just want it small and so it hangs on a rope in the middle of the room.

Please help in everything-even code, like I was 99 going across the street... sorry but I do not have time and need to figure this out quick. Thanks so much. I love your site/ store/videos all of it. Shame I didn't get into this website earlier... Son just told me about it. I used to work at 'THERMOSCAN', we made the first EAR THERMOMETERS back in the 90s in Sorrento Valley San Diego, California... my boss had the patent on it on the infrared sensor... Then it was all sold to BRAUN aka GILLETTE and we started doing the VET TEMP, ear thermometer for pets... under the company ADVANCED MONITORS also in SD... I stopped working a while ago though.

Let me know, thanks guys.

marekszlakowski2020

by marekszlakowski2020 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:40 am

and forgot to mention this SENSOR inside this CONTROLLER:
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-ICC-500T ... 2DRMK4612T
the InkBird 500T
CO2 and it monitors and controls emitter-off/on... does this use a GOOD CO2 sensor (like the Adafruit sensor written in my last REPLY), or does it use that crappier one that just uses math to estimate levels-as talked about in the showcase video for this CO2 sensor? curious how one would know or check?

Like I said, I'm sorry but time is an enemy... I need help asap. THANKS.

marekszlakowski2020

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.