Adafruit IO as Remote Notification?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
jkoffman

Adafruit IO as Remote Notification?

Post by jkoffman »

Hi all,

I apologize if this is too basic a question, I've never dealt with IoT like this before.

I have a Raspberry Pi that is going to be at a remote location monitoring the state of another network device. I'd like to do two things:
1. Notify when the other device has disappeared
2. Notify when the internet drops

The first one I can do by sending an email directly from the Pi if I have to, but the second one is a bit trickier. I've started looking at the IO documentation, but I'm very early on. I believe I might be able to use a reactive trigger combined with a feed notification to alert me when something happens. Would it be possible to use this setup to alert me when something _doesn't_ happen, ie the Pi doesn't check in for say, 5 consecutive 1 minute intervals (or something like that)?

Just looking to see if I'm on the right track or if I should be looking for a different way to accomplish this.

Thank you!

jwcooper

Re: Adafruit IO as Remote Notification?

Post by jwcooper »

If you are writing data to a feed, you could use the notification system in IO to alert you when a feed goes offline. You could just slowly ping a feed from the Pi with any data for this to work.

See the screenshot:
Screenshot_2021-05-25 Adafruit IO(2).png
Screenshot_2021-05-25 Adafruit IO(2).png (31.6 KiB) Viewed 317 times

jkoffman

Post by jkoffman »

Ok, this is promising! What's the lower limit on the Notification Timeout interval?

Thank you for the reply!

jwcooper

Post by jwcooper »

10 minutes is the lower limit, but the resolution is anywhere from 10 minutes to 14 minutes on that lower limit, as we don't necessarily check immediately. We monitor all feed statuses about every 4-5 minutes.

jkoffman

Post by jkoffman »

Got it! That's not too bad, that should be a good balance between having to update very frequently (generating a lot of traffic) and not triggering an alert for a very long time.

Thank you for the help! I may be back with more questions as I go!

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”