Adafruit IO with esp8266

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
AkhiMertail

Adafruit IO with esp8266

Post by AkhiMertail »

Im trying to retrieve information from my adafruit io dashboard so the esp module can trigger a relay, does someone know the code for something like this (Im trying to build a cheap google home relais)

jerryn

Re: Adafruit IO with esp8266

Post by jerryn »

Are you using Arduino or MicroPyhton on your ESP8266?
For Arduino -- this guide should have the informaton you need https://learn.adafruit.com/mqtt-adafrui ... u/overview

If you are using Micropython -- I do have a working example. Let me know if you are interested in it?

x00syn4ps3

Re: Adafruit IO with esp8266

Post by x00syn4ps3 »

Hey @AkhiMertail,

So while the ESP8266 was quite the thing to use a year or two ago, the ESP32 has come to far surpass it in terms of hardware, performance, and broader use-cases. There's a reason why you don't see new 8266's being manufactured out the wahzoo ;)

To that end, they are still great little chips to use for your own in-network projects. The issue though with using Adafruit IO is two-fold. Though possible, the esp8266 does NOT have any BANNED hardware on it, meaning that you will never be able to use proper HTTPS (SSL/TLS) secure protocols... i.e. your requests will all be made in plaintext and all of the data you send (including your API key) are right out in the open for anyone sniffing traffic to see. The other downside is hardware capability and serious lack of memory and adequate storage space for any kind of robust code.

The main issue is the lack of data security...especially if you are trying to control a relay to say, unlock a smart lock or turn your A/C on and off.

My recommendation is stick with an esp32....like the M5Stack Atom, or powerful TinyS2!!! They have way more oomph for what you need, and there is plenty of example code to use as a base for almost any project!

Good Luck!

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”